Director of Product Design
Medium’s mission is to help people understand their world, while crafting a level playing field that encourages ideas that come from anywhere. This mission hinges on Design. Designing a product that helps curious readers discover and enjoy the stories that matter to them. Designing an experience that respects intelligence, and that is worth paying for. Designing a system that supports and rewards quality writing.
We are looking for a Director of Product Design to grow and lead our talented team of product designers. This position requires a highly collaborative design leader who is comfortable leading big-picture thinking...and sweating the details. You’ll work with Medium’s leadership to help define how Medium can best serve the needs of readers and writers around the globe, and you’ll help your team collaborate with product managers, engineers, researchers, and data scientists to craft the elegant product experiences for which Medium is known.
You have at least 10 years of professional design experience, with at least five years building and managing product design teams in consumer Internet products. You pride yourself in your ability to identify and nurture product design talent, and set your team up to do their best work. And you love working cross-functionally to ship great products.
What you'll do:
- Manage and develop a team of product designers by setting clear goals, matching product designers with the appropriate product teams, and ensuring that your team has what they need to be successful
- Guide the team to develop and evolve best practices for product design at Medium
- Recruit new product designers and actively participate in the hiring process for product design, brand design, and other roles around the company
- Work closely with Medium leadership to envision the future of the Medium user experience, and make it real
- Collaborate with product management, engineering, research and product science to ensure a smooth and reliable product development process
- Occasionally contribute as a designer, when needs arise
- At least 5+ years managing design teams working on consumer Internet products, experience on media-related products a plus
- Fluency in UX best practices in mobile and web applications
- Experience working with cross-functional product teams (design, research, product, engineering, data science) in an agile / scrum environment
- A strong portfolio of design work demonstrating end-to-end product design on products at varying points of the product life-cycle
- A real passion for Medium’s mission
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
This role is based in San Francisco.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.