Senior Product Designer
We value inclusivity and diversity at Envato. Research shows candidates from neurodiverse and underrepresented backgrounds often only apply for roles if they meet all the criteria. We like to make our hiring decisions based on experience and passion, so if you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments please let us know. We also encourage you to let us know the pronouns you use at any point during the recruitment process.
Our focus is on helping people to complete their creative projects, with our author community earning every time that happens.
Envato proudly impacts the lives of creatives all over the world, from web developers and graphic designers, to marketers, videographers, photographers and more. We’ve built a community where anyone can get their creative projects done, and where creators bring their ideas to life and in the process, earn a living doing what they love. It doesn’t get much better than that!
We are a global and rapidly scaling business. Blending purpose and profit, we're a passionate B Corp, committed to making a positive impact on the communities we engage in. You can read more about our purpose, mission and values here.
We’ve embraced flexibility for a long time! Our roles can be based ANYWHERE in Australia or New Zealand and while we all mostly work from home we’re proud of how we keep our global team connected.
As a Senior Product Designer at Envato you will be a leader in the Growth Design team, and focused across our Influx product group, including Tuts+, Milkshake, Twenty20 and Reshot.
In this entry-level team leadership role, you will manage and lead a small team of designers, and will be an active member of an agile product delivery team, where you are expected to show design leadership through close collaboration with Product Managers, Developers and multi-disciplined designers to solve user problems for that team and product.
You will be responsible for promoting the importance of a collaborative, user-centred design process to achieve a balance between the needs of our users with the business goals and company vision.
- Defining an accessible and consistent user experience that best solves user needs.
- Support the successful design and delivery of projects via a clearly defined, collaborative and repeatable design process.
- Facilitate, participate and lead collaborative workshops and 1:1 interviews with your delivery teams, stakeholders & subject matter experts to help the team understand problems and opportunities, explore ideas and validate direction.
- Work with UX Researchers to determine the best research methods and then execute on the plan.
- Rapid prototype design solutions to validate with our users.
- Apply the Envato design language to mockups and support the development team through implementation to ensure the designs will consistently come to life.
- Provide constructive feedback to other designers in the team.
- Present and rationalise design recommendations to General Managers, Product Managers, Designers and Engineers
- Align with the Envato values and design against Envato’s design principles.
- As an entry level team leader you are expected to support your small team of designers through:
- Coaching and guiding designers in different techniques to understand problems and opportunities, exploration of ideas, rapid prototyping and validation.
- Managing the workflow of your designers and where needed providing direction.
- Facilitating a collaborative and safe environment for idea generation and feedback.
- The desire to collaborate, share knowledge and mentor other designers, suitable for a Senior Product Designer who wishes to gain experience as a people manager.
- Being the champion for our users and their needs through a well structured design process that is centred around validation.
- An advocate for the brand, with an acute understanding of when to push, question and if appropriate improve the guidelines.
- Constantly looking to improve your process and the way we do things at Envato.
- Instinctively collaborative in how you work and seek feedback both formally and informally with all types of stakeholders.
- Confident presenting to groups and facilitating 1:1 stakeholder interviews and group design workshops.
- In depth understanding of web accessibility and responsive design.
- Experience in IA and content design.
- Experience in both website and native app design and usability.
- Solid knowledge of HTML & CSS that enables you to efficiently work with engineers to make the dream become a reality.
- Experience working in an Agile or Lean environment.
- A portfolio showing examples of how you explore and understand the user problem and business goal; run formal and informal testing sessions and distill raw results into tangible insights; explore different design directions with explanation for why a final design was selected; next steps/lessons learned.
Some of the great things we offer:
• We provide Macs or HP’s for you to do your best work, as well as a generous tech spend allowance of $1800 (AU) / $2000 (NZ) for an initial tech set-up to suit your needs, and an ongoing allowance
• Home office setup contribution - all employees receive a one off payment of $1000 (AU) / $1200 (NZ) to create or uplift your home office working space
• Monthly contribution to support work from home costs $50 (AU) / $60 (NZ)
• Paid Parental Leave - Envato offers the Primary Carer 20 weeks leave at full pay (with the option to take it as 40 weeks at half pay), and for partner parental leave we offer 3 weeks full pay for eligible team members
• In addition to paid parental leave, we also pay superannuation on the paid and unpaid portion of the Primary Carer period for up to 12 months
• Employees receive an annual individual allowance to connect with colleagues as you choose $150 (AU) / $160 (NZ)
• Profit share - when Envato generates a profit in a given financial year, we share a portion of that profit with staff
• An annual individual Learning & Development budget for each employee
• Free Envato Elements subscription for side gigs/personal use
• Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Generous relief package until the end of 2021 - a 9 day fortnight until the end of the year, and all employees will be gifted 3 days leave between Christmas and New Year in 2021
Our culture / Things we care about:
• We’re B Corp certified & believe in succeeding sustainably as one global team
• We support the flexibility to work from anywhere (and when we’re on the move again, the chance to combine work & travel) by supporting our people to work from almost any location in the world for up to 3 months every year and offering up to 20 days of additional purchased leave
• We removed standard hours from our employment contracts to empower our people to work in a way that makes sense to them
• We are committed to supporting the physical and mental health and wellbeing of our people. Through our Health & Wellbeing program, Thrive, we offer a range of options and benefits throughout the year
• We support working parents through a range of initiatives, including being a proud partner with Grace Papers
• As part of our values and vision, Envato contributes 2% of profits to charities in each of the three main countries we operate in - Australia, Mexico and the US