Modea is seeking an experienced UI Designer to join our fast paced and growing team. As a UI Designer, you will focus on providing value to our clients, ensuring the usability of our products while creating great looking designs.
What does a UI Designer do at Modea?
We tackle interesting projects on cross-functional teams made up of designers, analysts, software engineers, project managers, and strategists. These team members work very closely with each other and the client to design and build awesome, consumer web and mobile experiences. Our designers are the expert on a project team when asked “What’s best for the customer?”
We're currently looking for a hardworking UI Designer to visually design innovative user interfaces for some of our best clients. The right person for this role has experience in high fidelity visual design, is a great communicator and collaborator, and understands how to design with a purpose.
Our business and team have consistently grown over the last four years and COVID-19 has dramatically increased the demand for our services. Currently, our office is working remotely and plans to continue until later in 2021, but ultimately, this position would be located at our headquarters in Blacksburg, VA, or in our new location in Nashville, TN.
Here are a few specific things we’d be looking for you to do:
- Create exciting and effective visual designs: Once the UX research is done, it’s time to put pencil to paper (so to speak) to create high-quality designs that will help the end-user realize greater value from their web or mobile experience.
- Support user experience research and testing: We want you to be connected to the designs you are producing and the goals those designs are working to accomplish. By getting involved in this work you’ll be able to interview live users of the client’s website or app, develop personas, and conduct research that provides a clear understanding of how design, site architecture, and content can impact the user’s experience.
- Meet project goals and deadlines: We operate a robust project management practice that helps us stay organized and iterate our work to create client value faster. This involves being a part of regular meetings and collaborating with the rest of the team within two-week sprints.
- Bring design best practices to the table: We’d consider you the design expert on each project and would be looking for you to ensure that design and accessibility best practices are being followed at all times.
What are you looking for?
Here is a list of skills and qualities that are critical to this role:
- Be a great listener and communicator (oral and written)
- Be naturally curious and love problem-solving
- Have experience doing UI design on multiple web and mobile projects
- Have some experience with atomic design or a similar component-based approach
- Enjoy working together with developers to bring a design to life
- Understand the principles and practice of Mobile First and Responsive web design
- Be an expert using industry-standard design software like Sketch, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Have a positive attitude and an inspiring work ethic
- Be able to think commercially and translate business goals into your work product
- Be pleasant to work with and a team player
- Have a college degree or a similar degree of life experience
- Be passionate about digital design and ready to share your favorite blogs, authors, etc.
- Have 2-5 years of work experience in design
Who is Modea?
We are a technology consultancy with a mission to infuse greater control, transparency, and choice into the consumer healthcare experience. To do this, we work with large healthcare providers to help them build out a digital roadmap, then design and build mobile, web, and other digital experiences. We fundamentally believe that this work helps consumers have better information and access to care, and our clients to build stronger customer relationships.
Here are a few ways to get to know our work in healthcare:
- Check out the Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital website. Our team built the entire experience on a cutting-edge, headless CMS implementation.
- Download the Ballad Health mobile app. We designed this app using the Ionic UI kit and built it on a cross-platform framework for both iOS and Android.
- Search for a doctor at the Carilion Clinic website. We helped them transform their site experience and digital tools like search and find-a-doc.
- Flip through this conference presentation deck about some data science work we did with Children’s National.
Why should I apply?
First, you’ll love the work we do and the people you’ll get to do it with. We’ve assembled an exceptionally smart and hardworking team and you’ll enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow “Modeans.” We also work with great clients who value us and our contributions. At Modea, design is fundamental and essential to our work.
Second, Modea offers a great benefits package that provides both a fun and enjoyable workplace and great perks that will improve your quality of life:
- Paid time off
- Team lunches
- Regular employee events (parties, community service, etc.)
- Generous health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with fully vested company matching
- Long term & short term disability insurance
Some of these benefits, like parties and team lunches, have had to adapt to the remote work environment we are currently in, but our operations team has found innovative ways to support our team, from regular care packages to a work-from-home stipend. We take care of our team.
The working environment here at Modea is one of accountability and autonomy. We are working to solve big problems. So we expect a lot, but give team members the tools, freedom, and flexibility to come up with great solutions. Together, our team is developing world-class technology that will change the way healthcare is delivered.
You must be legally authorized to work in the United States for this position.
Modea participates in the E-Verify program.
Modea is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Modea is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.