Senior UX Designer
Headquartered in Helsinki with offices in Berlin, Sydney, and Toronto, Aiven provides managed open-source data technologies, such as PostgreSQL, Kafka, and M3, on all major clouds. We have raised Series-C funding totaling $160M and are backed by world-class investors including Atomico, IVP and Earlybird Venture Capital, among others. With a recent valuation of $2B, we have become one of the tech world’s most recent unicorns.Our roots are in open source. The services we provide are based on best-in-class open source data technologies. We are establishing the Open-Source Office that will coordinate and increase our contributions to the open-source community. Through Aiven, developers can do what they do best: create applications. Meanwhile, we do what we do best; manage cloud data infrastructure. We enable our customers to drive business results from open-source resulting in true transformations far beyond their own backyards.
At Aiven, we turn top Open Source data technologies into frustration-free cloud services to serve the needs of customers of all sizes. Today, we offer nine fully-managed services - Apache Kafka, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Redis, M3, InfluxDB and Grafana that work across major cloud providers such as Google, Amazon, Azure and more.Our philosophy is to automate everything and avoid repetitive manual work in everything we do. Our technology stack includes Python with bits of Java, Go and C for backend systems, React and Redux for the frontend.We are now looking for an experienced hands-on UX designer to join our UX team and help us drive business impact with delightful user experience. The ideal candidate will thrive in a work environment that requires strong independent problem-solving skills, self-direction coupled with an aptitude and affinity for team collaboration and effective communication.As our target users are largely developers, database administrators or otherwise technically oriented, you are expected to be tech-savvy and be comfortable diving into technical topics. The development teams are multinational and working in English, so it’s necessary to be able to communicate fluently in English, both verbally and in writing.
What you’ll be doing
- Design clear and engaging user experiences for Aiven Console, bearing in mind the usability on other interfaces we offer such as CLI client, terraform provider and kubernetes operator.
- Distill simplicity from complex user requirements and configuration options available in the open source technologies we use.
- Lead and run feature definition cycles to understand the customer need and iterate on potential solutions.
- Develop wireframes and rapid working prototypes in Figma for demonstration purposes.
- Enable engineers to bring your designs to life and know how to define and prioritize problems to be tackled.
- Know when user research is critical and conduct user research to validate the direction of the feature development.
- Work closely with fellow UX designers to ensure consistency in our overall product user experience.
- Build your knowledge on Aiven platform and it’s services progressively by working closely with both backend and frontend engineers.
- Keep abreast of competitor products and perform UX benchmarking on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with international teammates across functions in Sales, Operations and Customer Success teams on Slack or Google Meet as needed to better understand the customer needs and use cases.
- 6+ years of experience in UX and design skills that are applied to a growing B2B SaaS/PaaS product.
- Experience in creating polished mockups and detailed interactive prototypes.
- Knowledge of using and developing a composable and responsive design system.
- Ability to create practical solutions for complex technical system configurations.
- Experience in creating highly technical products including cloud computing, access management or developer tools is seen as a strength.
- Ability to collaborate and drive discussions in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Clear, effective communication skills to articulate and present your findings and design decisions.
- Startup experience or mentality is a plus. Ability to jump in where needed and expand the role.
- Prior experience in product-led growth teams is beneficial.
- Familiarity or experience in tools we use such as Figma, hotjar, Google Analytics, and online collaborative whiteboard tools such as Miro.
Your attributes we need
- Fluidity - You are cool with working in a dynamic environment that is continuously growing and driving towards change.
- Entrepreneurial mindset - You are willing to do whatever the product team needs to drive user adoption and growth.
We are proud of our organization's culture - we search for the most pragmatic solution in everything we do and cultivate a trusting, supportive environment that empowers everyone to strive for excellence.
Besides our people and culture, we offer you:
- An agile working environment with short decision paths
- Compensation for your open source contributions in your free time
- Flexible working hours, including remote working when needed
- Choose the devices and tools that make you work the best
- Cool Office in the centre of Berlin (Prenzlauer Berg) / centre of Helsinki (Kamppi)
- Mobile phone and subscription
- Participation in employee stock option plan
- Home Internet subscription (Helsinki)
- Private health and dental care (Helsinki)
- Sports, cultural events and massage benefits (Helsinki)
- Office snacks, soft drinks, treats and fruits (Helsinki)
You will be part of a highly-skilled, tight-knit and growing diverse team, making your contribution essential to what is becoming a truly unique success story. If this sounds interesting, we’d love to hear from you.