Senior UI/UX Designer
What do we do at Karmak? We create dealer management systems (DMS) software for the heavy-duty trucking and automotive industries. Walk into any auto or truck dealership or parts/service shop, and they’ll access a DMS to check their inventory for a new sale or schedule your vehicle for an oil change. At Karmak, our team of industry experts design, develop, train, and support DMS systems that provide visibility, control, and cost savings to our customers. We are innovative problem solvers – in software as well as Sales, Marketing, Consulting, Support, Training, and more – and we’re always looking for bright, curious minds to join our team.
Karmak is in the fast lane to building a successful team that likes to work with innovative technology. Our customers are in the commercial transportation industry and streamlined operations have never been more important. Karmak has been on the highway of this industry for 35 years. We serve more than 1,500 locations across North America. We motivate, inspire and push each other because we are an employee owned company so each employee’s success is a company investment.
Daily Job Functions – What’s in your GPS?
- A strong, well-rounded designer with experience in interaction, UI, and UX design
- Able to confidently articulate how the design solution answers user needs, business goals, technical constraints, and other project facets, and translate that into a premium visual design
- Expected deliverables in this role include sketches, wireframes, IA maps, task flows, heuristic evaluations, low & high fidelity designs, prototypes & concepts, guidance and examples for front end developers, etc.
- Serve as a brand steward, ensuring a consistency of site appearance via use of style guides, style sheets, and enforcement of established standards and best practices
- Stay up to date with new web design trends and technologies
Knowledge & Skills – What’s Under the Hood?
- Possess confidence with typography, color theory, iconography, aesthetics, and application of brand attributes.
- Strong UI/UX portfolio of pertinent work is required. Please provide a link to your portfolio.
- Experience designing for SaaS platforms
- Experience with conceptual design and creative prototypes as well as tactical UI design and implementation
- Experience with interaction and visual design of mobile (web and native app) initiatives
- Strong familiarity with responsive design principles
- Strong listening, organization, and communication skills regarding UI design process, methods and rationale
- Experience creating specs for UI deliverables, including UI states and behaviors
- Abreast of UI design best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle and Agile methodologies
- Basic understanding of technical platforms and terms (i.e. HTML, CSS, .NET, Angular/React.)
- Experience with cross-team interactions and dissemination of UI/UX documentation and information
- Willingness to whiteboard, document and lead design interactions with Product and Development to derive innovative solutions
- Strong prototyping skills (e.g., InVision, Sketch, Omnigraffle, etc)
- Empathy with a strong sense of user-centric narrative and experience creating user flows
Candidate should within the first 30 days have a strong understanding of existing products and their workflows and be able to demonstrate that knowledge to their manager. Within 60 days they should be interacting with product users and building UX prototypes for future products. Within 90 days the candidate will have a strong interaction with development teams and implementing UI designs for future products.
Meet the Truck Tech Team
You will be reporting directly to the Chief Architect.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Karmak may assign additional responsibilities.