Senior Product Designer
What is G2i?
G2i is a hiring platform for engineers by engineers. Our vision is for the hiring process to be simple, trustworthy and enjoyable for both companies and engineers. Our mission is to continue creating a vetting process where:
- Engineers vet other engineers
- Engineer vetting will be as close to on the job requirements as possible
- The vetting process is objective, repeatable and quantitatively scored
- The process is transparent: We provide the engineer's code, our code review and technical interview notes in full to our clients
G2i is short for "Good News to the Internet." In addition to being good news to engineers in the tech industry, we are on mission to help hundreds of street kids in Nairobi, Kenya obtain education, a safe home, parental care, and the love they need. We are also committed to supporting the open source community by finding ways to financially support those who build the OSS we rely on.
Feel free to watch this 6 minute video from our founder about the mission of G2i: https://www.useloom.com/share/f1c2d0b57020465f915ee2b673ad82bf
What We're building
In order to fulfill our mission & vision we are building a two way marketplace platform. This platform will allow companies to find pre-vetted engineers that can augment their teams on demand. We're investing in features such as a quantitative manual review code process, individualized company match scores and machine learning to automate more of these processes.
As a senior product designer, you'll be focused on both the internal and external dashboards as well as the marketing site. To learn more about this role you can watch this 5 minute video from our founder: https://www.useloom.com/share/1e5ee0b853fd48da8a67a359ad58ed8e
- Own every aspect of a product's design, from solving the core user challenge to shipping a well-tested and pixel-perfect UI
- Before designing anything, do everything possible to familiarize yourself with the core problem you're trying to solve and all the user goals
- Create and test rough prototypes early in the design process to create confidence in a solution
- Design high-fidelity UI and UX specs to clearly communicate requirements to your team's engineers
- Work closely with your engineers to build components that seamlessly fit into a larger component library / style guide
- Help make high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the product team
- Contribute your design thinking skills to other areas of the platform (vetting engineers, marketing, customer success, etc.)
- 3-4 years of professional design experience
- You are located in North America, South America, or Europe
- Experience designing and shipping applications
- Proven ability to empathize with and build solutions for users
- Ability to organize and communicate your thoughts and motivations
- A keen eye for visual UI details
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision
- Self-motivated and able to efficiently run with a project without close supervision
- You are interested in learning more about frontend development and might even like to learn how to code a bit (not required, but encouraged)
- A leaning towards over communicating rather than under communicating which is paramount on remote teams
- Urgency and ownership matter a lot to us. You can read about our CTO's perspective on it here.
The rest of the pitch
- We are a 100% remote first company and you have the option of working remotely or moving to South Florida (near the beach)
- In terms of development, we use technology that is on the bleeding edge (React, React Native, etc) and we expect to be pushing the boundaries on UI/UX as well.
- We're a startup so there's lots of room for new ideas and growth
- We deeply value work/life balance and you are not encouraged to work weekends. We value our 40 hour work weeks.
- You will get to help build our design process
- We have a game night every 3 weeks which is a ton of fun!
- 21 Days of PTO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Care (Gold Plan)
Who you will work with
Our team size is between 15-20 currently, but here are a few of our leaders that you'll interact with.
- Gabe Greenberg is the founder of G2i. His main focus is on sales, strategy and leading the company. Before G2i Gabe planned on being a church planter and pastor. God took him in a different direction after a missions trip to Kenya where he met the street boys we now support. The foundation Gabe was working with needed a website built and everything grew from there. Gabe has a passion for both design and development and deeply cares about UX.
- Lee Johnson is the CTO of G2i. He has been an engineer for 20+ years, has worked across numerous tech stacks and has survived countless engineering fads. He was an early adopter of React and React Native and helped to start React Native Radio with Nader Dabit. Lee currently leads the product team.
- Chris Severns is the Hiring Team Lead and the person that wrote this job description. He focuses on engineer hiring, the technical vetting process and client fulfillment. He is an engineer that started working in Rails and picked up React, React Native, Node and GraphQL while working at G2i. He is relentlessly focused on providing quality engineers to G2i's clients and will do whatever it takes to fulfill that mission. He likes to contribute to G2i's internal tools when he has the time to get into the code.
- Stephen Mitchell is our Growth Lead. While Stephen's background is in sales he's the type of person who will accomplish anything you throw at him. He works on our inbound/outbound sales strategies and is relentless about finding product market fit. He's also experienced in the G2i engineer hiring process and does full cycle sales with our clients.
We are not a good fit for you if:
- You are looking for a giant slow moving company. ****We're constantly experimenting, iterating and changing things.
- You are looking to specialize in some particular problem set. This role requires working in different contexts and problem sets. We need people that can adapt to the challenges thrown at them.
- You don't want to take on any work outside of your job description/comfort zone. We're a small company and sometimes we need all hands on deck for certain problems.
G2i is an equal opportunity employer. We’re dedicated to building a team where diversity in both ideas and identities is not only welcomed, but encouraged. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are a minority that is considering applying, but you have any reservations about doing so, please email me (email@example.com) and let me know how we can be more welcoming to you.