Senior Visual Designer
This position is remote based.
A brief overview:
GitLab is building an open source, single application for the entire DevOps lifecycle—from project planning and source code management to CI/CD, monitoring, and security.
We’re looking to add a Senior Visual Designer/Illustrator to our already large team of UX Designers and UX Researchers to help beautify GitLab's UI and refine our design system. If you're an outstanding Illustrator & Visual Designer who is experienced at designing pixel-perfect UI components for enterprise tools, then you may be a great fit.
At GitLab, we live and breathe open source principles. This means our entire handbook is online, and with a few clicks you can find the details of future releases and an overview of the product vision you’d contribute to when working here. We’re planning to more than double the UX team's size over the next year. You can look over our organizational chart to see other open vacancies.
What you can expect in a Senior Visual Designer/Illustrator role at GitLab:
- You’ll be expected to refine and extend the existing custom icon library, and create illustrations for things like null states, error pages, and supplemental illustrations on design.gitlab.com.
- You’ll create deliverables (lo-fi wireframes, hi-fi mockups, prototypes, hi-fi visuals etc.) to communicate ideas, as needed.
- You’ll partner with UX Designers and Researchers to conduct user testing, incorporate feedback, and share findings and recommendations.
- You’ll review new designs created by UX Designers to help ensure consistency throughout the system.
- You’ll help create and maintain documentation for the design system.
- You’ll work with developers to iterate on and refine the UI experience. You’ll also implement designs in HTML/CSS, as needed.
- You’ll be expected to help break down designs to fit within the monthly release cadence.
Projects you might work on:
You’ll spend much of your time helping to move Pajamas Design System components to a "Complete" status. You’ll also identify refinements to optimize existing components, while collaborating with Frontend Engineers, Developers, and UX Designers.
You should apply if:
- You have a portfolio of beautifully executed illustrations, enterprise UI designs, and SVGs. (Animated SVGs are a bonus.)
- You're a master at creating useful icons and elegant UI interactions.
- You've helped to create a Design System that's implemented in code.
- You understand accessibility and how it impacts visual design.
- The idea of playing a key part in the evolution of our Pajamas Design System is truly exciting to you.
- You’ve worked for a company that builds and maintains a deeply complex product.
- You’re humble and able to freely discuss your own strengths and weaknesses (and those of others), but always in a kind and appropriate way.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
What it's like to work here at GitLab:
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Because GitLabbers are currently located in 51 different countries, you’ll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe.
Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLabbers are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. Also, every nine months or so, we’ll invite you to our Contribute event.
Our hiring process for this Sr. Visual Designer/Illustrator position typically follows four stages where you’ll speak with one of our Global Recruiters, a UX Designer, a UX Manager and the UX Director. The compensation for this Sr. Visual Designer/Illustrator aligns with the compensation for the UX Design role, which can be found at the bottom of this page.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute first interview with a UX Designer.
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a 1 hour interview with the UX Manager. This interview will include a run-through of basic UX and UI dev skills as described in the responsibilities.
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a third 45 minute interview with our UX Director.
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.