UX/UI Design Lead
We're looking for an experienced Product Designer to join our team in San Francisco. As a designer at thoughtbot you work with our clients to turn their ideas into great products that people love to use, and then grow them into successful businesses.
Well-qualified candidates will have experience with consulting, and have a proven track record of attracting potential customers.
Design Leadership and Management
- Provide mentorship and support to the Designers in their studio.
- Help Designers continue to grow skills and provide career development support.
- Conduct regular one on ones, reviews and group critique.
- Make sure that Designers are challenged and fulfilled in their work and work to retain the people we have on our team.
- Consistently transparent and highly communicative, both with their team and the rest of the organization.
- Care deeply about the Designers working for them, empathizing with struggles and celebrating accomplishments of their team.
- Work on projects as a designer; executing design strategy and research through to implementation.
- Seeks out new techniques and tools to improve our design process at thoughtbot and maintain our high standard of work in their studio.
Office growth and sustainability
- Work to grow our design reputation in their studio, attracting great design projects and great teammates.
- Support the Managing Director, with the Development Director, to manage the business and success of the studio.
- Contribute as needed to inbound opportunities and customer success.
- Grow their design team in a sustainable way to match the work done in their studio.
Uphold our company Purpose and Design Team Values
- Demonstrate and uphold our team values both company wide and for the design team. They use these values to form strong opinions about how we design our process and products.
- Pushes themselves and their team to do the best work possible by challenging assumptions and convention.
- Strive for improvement in their own skillsets, the products they work on and the way they work with others.
We like to keep ourselves happy while we work. Here at thoughtbot there’s stellar vacation time and fully stocked offices with everything from Klondike bars to neat little notebooks.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary, paid time off, 401k with matching, and health insurance.
Our team works in a relaxed and educational environment to develop excellent products for our clients. We work a sustainable pace of 40 hours/week, consulting for clients four days/week. We also like to learn. Everything we do is predicated on having a great team and a culture of growing. We use the latest technologies and are always down to try new methods on both internal and client projects.
On Fridays, we have “investment time” when we learn new tools and techniques, work on open source, create new products, write blog posts, and try to make ourselves, each other, and the community better.
We pay 100% of expenses if you speak at conferences and 50% of the cost for attendees. We also have a 2-day hackathon at the end of every year.
We offer 25 paid vacation days and 11 paid holidays per year in addition to paid sick days. New parents receive at least 6 weeks paid parental leave in all locations, as well as the ability to take up to 6 months off.
HEALTHCARE + FINANCIAL
For full-time U.S. employees, we pay 100% of medical, dental, vision, and life insurance premiums, plus we have a comprehensive 401k plan.