Senior UX/Product Designer
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you a lot longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is massive — over £750B in the UK & US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
The same problem applies to small businesses who lack the resources to procure services properly and often spend too much time calling around, getting quotes, asking for recommendations and still not getting the best result. We are going to change that. Bark is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with professionals for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our professionals are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
We’re already the UK’s largest & fastest growing services marketplace, helping people find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2015 and headquartered in Paddington, London, Bark operates in the UK, US, Ireland, Canada and South Africa. The business is profitable with a proven model (although embryonic) but the feel of a startup and most of our work still to do. We are on a mission to build the ultimate one-stop-shop services marketplace and are passionate about making people’s lives more efficient and helping businesses grow. We are looking for like-minded and exceptionally talented people to join us on this journey.
About the role
You’ll be working top-down and bottom-up; a customer’s experience at Bark spans multiple touchpoints including digital, phone calls, email and more. You’ll work closely with product, engineering, analytics and the founders to create high performing user experiences. You’ll have various stakeholders and will be at the heart of our fascinating challenge which is to continuously optimise experiences to drive long term value, make customers love our service and deliver complex functionality in a simple, intuitive way. You will be at the forefront of designing market-leading and exceptionally innovative products that will genuinely change the world. You’ll be our first UX/Product Designer hire and so you’ll need to be both hands-on and strategic and able to combine the two with sharp, 360 thinking and enjoy the challenge of a fast-moving, dynamic environment. As we grow, you’ll grow too and in the future, you’ll have the opportunity to take on more responsibility.
- Own the end-to-end UX and design process, including wireframing, UI design and prototyping
- Collaborate closely with product managers and engineering to create a highly efficient agile delivery team
- Craft concepts and sketches and rapidly prototype ideas
- Present work and use design to build alignment and influence product direction
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the product and executive teams
- Shape the way we work, our approach to UX/UI and the tools we use
Required skills and experience
- 5+ years of proven and comparable experience in a fast-paced and successful online business
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates strategic thinking, creativity and detailed specifications
- Reliable self-starter who can handle multiple projects with minimal oversight
- Excellent communicator - able to clearly present your work, explain your creative vision and discuss design decisions confidently at all levels
- Confident in using data (qualitative and quantitative) and insights to inform designs
- Driven, ambitious, meticulous attention to detail and keen to grow with the company