heycar is looking for a talented designer to join the Product Design Team. Qualified candidates will be strategic, empathetic thinkers that can contribute to the overall product design process through concept, design, development, and delivery of compelling UI visuals as well as supporting other marketing requirements as needed.
You must be a detail-oriented designer with a concept-driven approach who is constantly striving for simplicity. You will have an exceptional eye for detail, design, quality and an expert in your craft with the ability to work closely with product, marketing and senior stakeholders.
heycar was born from a simple question: ‘How do we make buying a used car simple?’ The answer? By bringing the best and most trusted dealerships across the UK closer to their customers to collectively reinvent used car buying. We exist simply to provide people with the confidence that they’ll find a car they love, and that we can help dealers sell that perfect car.
Having launched in the middle of August 2019, we are a brand of tomorrow at the very start of our journey. If you want to come along for the ride then get in-touch.
We’re a small but mighty team, growing at speed and building a culture that allows team members to feel challenged and empowered. We may have different backgrounds, industries and skills, but we’re all driving towards the same goal: to disrupt the used car industry.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll work collaboratively to develop scalable design systems that meet product and business goals
- You’ll document pattern libraries and style guides, updating as we evolve
- You’ll partner with the team to understand challenges, identify opportunities and measure impact
- You will use your creative skills to create sketches, visual references, storyboards, prototypes, and/or design specs to guide development of product experiences
- You’ll deliver compelling visuals in various styles/mediums: photography, video, animation or other media
- You’ll deliver content that’s enjoyable and beautiful to our audience, with a high level of craft and attention to detail
- You will create final, polished art that may include UI or printed assets
- You’ll work closely with the Head of Design, Senior UX and Product Managers to align on goals, priorities, direction and feedback
What you’ll need:
- Appreciation for the User: Deeply understand and design for the needs of the user
- Communication: Present and articulate concepts in a clear and focused way that drives productive discussion, and compels work forward
- Knowledge: Expertise in design principles related to branding, marketing, and understanding of UX design, information hierarchy, user-flow, and typography
- Technology: Experience in designing UX and UI for both desktop and mobile
- Experience: Outstanding portfolio of work that shows strong user-centered and visual design capabilities across a range of different projects
- Theory: An understanding of visual design theory (e.g., typography, color theory, composition, iconography, etc.) and analog visual communication skills (e.g., sketching)
- Software: Advanced prototyping skills and experience using Adobe software, InVision and Sketch etc.
- Design Process: Good understanding of information architecture, workflows, concept development and interaction design
- Experimentation: Experience in translating user research and usability test findings into iterative product solutions
You should be prepared to present previous design samples and prototypes at interview, plus you may be required to complete a test assignment (unrelated to heycar).
What we’ll give you:
- You'll be joining more than just another startup - our team members are at the heart of everything we do; here we don’t leave things unsaid, we encourage honest feedback in a fast paced, but not fraught environment
- We’re a start-up but scaling fast, so you’ll need to keep up, push back and question where you see fit
- We provide a fully stocked kitchen and bar, table tennis, roof terrace, and great socials.
- We offer a competitive salary + performance based bonus, private medical insurance, learning, development opportunities and some serious swag.