Principal UX Designer
As Principal UX Designer you will be responsible for creating world-class innovative designs for Rivian’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems and Autonomous Driving modes. How does and person interact with these systems? How will the vehicle communicate its path, surroundings, and danger to the “driver”? How should the vehicle behave? These are questions you will help answer.
While this is a senior UX design role, ideal candidates will have experience and education in science, technology, or engineering. If you don’t already, you will gain a deep understanding of driver work-load, human reaction time, sensor capabilities, and road attributes.
You will produce ground-breaking in-vehicle user experiences that push beyond what is available today– together with a team that values positivity, humility and humor.
This is what you'll do:
- Lead the user experience design of the visual audio and haptic feedback/interaction system for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) such as blind-spot detection and automatic parking, and Rivian’s Level-3 Autonomous Driving system.
- Work closely with system engineers to define vehicle driving behavior and how it relates to the driver experience.
- Generate design concepts, flows, wireframes, business logic, transitions, micro-interactions, prototypes
- Work closely with other team members including Product Managers, UI Designers, Industrial Designers, User Researchers, and Engineers, receiving critical feedback and iterating to make the best possible product
- Take ownership of your project’s user experience as a whole, driving with it daily and ensuring it is executed as intended, while relentlessly looking for ways to improve
This is what you'll need:
- 10+ years’ experience as a User Experience designer, including significant experience designing mobile apps, or web/desktop applications.
- A science or engineering background is a plus
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and experience partnering with multi-disciplinary design teams, including visual designers and engineers.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex design challenges in order to support an informed, creative process; advanced understanding of design process including divergent (brainstorming), convergent (concept-selection), and detail-design phases
- Advanced skills in Sketch, Figma, or other methods of user experience documentation tools
- An adventurous spirit and a passion for beauty, elegance, and authenticity
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Digital Experience
Location: Silicon Valley (Currently San Jose, but moving to Palo Alto in 2020)
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.