Intermediate Product Designer
We are looking for an experienced senior product designer to join the product design team at Top Hat. Product designers at Top Hat have a curiosity and drive for understanding user expectations, communicating them clearly to the business, and turning them into products and experiences that are usable and helpful. You will be joining our rapidly growing team of product managers and designers on the Product Team, working closely with engineering, customers success, and product marketing. Most importantly, you will be working on challenging design problems for a consumer-facing application that makes an impact on the lives of millions of professors and students.
- Meet with customers virtually to learn about their challenges and aspirations not only with Top Hat, but education technology as a whole
- Work closely with product managers to review user feedback and data Create wireframes, and hi-fidelity prototypes
- Work within the design team to expand UX and UI design patterns for different platforms – web, iPhone, and Android devices
- Interact daily with the engineering team to ensure your designs are executed and shipped to customers.
- Minimum 1–2 years experience as a UX/UI designer, or product designer
- Experience working with consumer-facing applications
- Proficient with Sketch – you’re expected to render solutions to spec (proper spacing, margins, etc).
- Be detail-obsessed
- Experience working with engineering teams (facilitating teamwork is a must)
- Understanding of data-driven design and using data resources to inform decisions
- An understanding of how to run usability tests, and conduct interview with users that are respectful and insightful
- Prototyping (InVision, Sketch, etc) and great interaction design instincts, either with wireframes or in working HTML/CSS/jQuery
- Ability to break down abstract needs and research in to clear and feasible user interface assets for the engineering team
- Great written and spoken communication skills
- Self-starting on projects and working from a position of ambiguity is very beneficial for senior roles
About Top Hat:
Top Hat’s interactive, cloud-based teaching platform enables professors to engage students inside and outside the classroom with compelling content, tools and activities. Millions of students at 700 leading North American colleges and universities use the Top Hat teaching platform. Headquartered in Toronto, Top Hat has been operating since 2009.
We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, thinkers, and creative geniuses. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us.
The life of a Top Hatter also comes with other sweet perks too:
• Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart and motivated to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
• We offer breakfast and catered lunch every day!
• Conveniently located at Bloor and Avenue, near 3 TTC stations.
• We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named Fastest 50 Growing Companies by Deloitte Consulting!)
• Our dress code is casual.
Top Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.