Senior User Experience Researcher
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
PURPOSE: The Planned Parenthood Digital Products team provides reliable and scalable applications and technology programs and services in support of health care delivery, sex education, advocacy, fundraising, and internal operations. This past year we were awarded the World's Most Innovative Company in Education from Fast Company.
The Sr. UX Researcher, Conversational Design, Digital Product Lab will lead the investigation into user behavior and sentiment behind our digital products to help evolve our messaging experiences so that our target audience can get personalized answers to their sexual and reproductive health questions. The Sr. UX Researcher, Conversational Design, Digital Product Lab will report to the Senior Director of Product Design, Digital Products.
- The Sr. UX Researcher, Digital Products, will be successful when they uncover areas of opportunities based on our audiences’ lived experiences, and socialize key patterns behind both the what and why to our product teams. The researcher will also collaborate around potential strategies for how our teams can ensure Planned Parenthood’s SRH content is translated into engaging, lightweight, experiences tailored to the preferences of our audiences, strengthening our digital health journey with a focus on beautifully functional, visually engaging, and scalable human-centered messaging solutions.
- User Research:
- Quantitative Research - Lead end-to-end quantitative research projects (multi-method study design, large scale dataset management, benchmarking studies, recruiting, diary research, survey design, analysis, data visualization, reporting)
- Qualitative Research - Lead session moderation/facilitation for in-depth-interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, usability studies, and contextual inquiry.
- Regular user engagement - A regular cadence of remote user recruitment and engagement (and when possible, in person)
- Synthesis - Distill insights into an easily digestible format for working teams to understand our areas of opportunity on how we should be evolving our conversations with our users, and what quality content looks like to them.
- Marginalized communities - Deep alignment with Planned Parenthood’s mission with experience and/or a demonstrated interest conducting research and developing relationships with underrepresented people in our patients communities.
- Information Architecture and Utterance Analysis:
- Content structure - Manage the content catalog, alongside the content owner of user utterances and intents.
- Utterance analysis - Quantitative categorization, labeling, and tokenizing of existing user utterances to improve the accuracy and level of detail our conversational products offer our users and help guide our content teams on how we are talking with our users.
- User Experience Design:
- Conversational design systems - Oversee the design system of our custom chatbot and related conversational digital products to later reach different audiences and maximize impact and scale
- Data driven personas - To empower teams to better relate to our target users alongside their healthcare journey.
- Patient journey map - Centering all of our digital products in the context of the patients ongoing and evolving journey to navigate the complex healthcare space.
- Logic flows - Mapping easily understood flows around how Planned Parenthood’s content is served up based on user interaction with our digital products.
- Product design strategy:
- Collaboration - Work hands on with a variety of technical and subject matter expert teams to ensure that user needs are adequately measured, represented, and incorporated.
- Design thinking - Be a champion for design thinking and human-centered digital innovation within Digital Products Lab, and Digital Product Design as well as with the broader Planned Parenthood Federation.
- UX research socialization:
- Research socialization - Report on regular user research to deepen the DP’s understanding of our core audience and their needs, and incorporate learnings into both new and existing products.
- Research Mentorship - Help mentor less experienced designers and working team members through honest, constructive, actionable feedback, and offer guidance to peers on different user research methods and how to leverage data to inform design decisions..
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (KSAs)
- 3-5 years expertise with a broad experience of mixed method product oriented lean user research.
- Experience in survey design, analysis, and response effects including experience using a variety of research analytic and recruiting tools such as Userzoom.
- Demonstrable ability in presenting research insights into compelling, actionable data visualizations and presentations.
- Expertise working with large (quantitative?) datasets
- Comfortable working with both quantitative and qualitative datasets.
- Experience recruiting for hard to reach users.
- You have experience strategizing and guiding user experience based off actionable insights that includes not only visual and interactive dimensions, but editorial and content dimensions as well.
- Great communicator; using verbal, written, and visual tools to openly collaborate and grow the interpersonal relationships that create a fluid work culture across different levels of stakeholders.
- Empathetic with a collaborative attitude across teams and skill sets.
- High level of self-direction, showing the ability to work between both proactive and reactive work streams with grace.
- Champion for our users and a passion for designing for social impact.
- Systems thinker with one eye always on improving the larger picture through efficient research solutions that responsively adapt to platforms, users, and situations.
- Ability to approach work from a trauma informed perspective.
- Able to conduct product research alongside working groups conducting academic research.
- Strong analytical ability: You can take a complex problem, synthesize detailed information from multiple sources, and construct a nuanced top-line recommendations on the path forward, even when the question at hand is a difficult one
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.