Staff Product Designer
Here at Shopify, we are working towards our mission of making the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe.
The Shop team builds products that augment the value provided to shoppers, like the newly released shopping assistant Shop, and Shop Pay, an accelerated checkout product already trusted by 30+ million shoppers. The team operates like a start up within an established company. The leadership team decides on key themes and teams get assigned to it. Then it's up to the team to solve the problem, working closely with Engineering, Data, UX and Product Management. They are independent teams, with the flexibility to make their own decisions and work autonomously.
As a Staff Product Designer, you’ll join that team and will focus on the Shop Pay product. You’ll lead design projects of significant scope, complexity and will take responsibility in the creative vision, strategy and execution, meaning limitless opportunities for you to turn your ideas into reality. You’ll work closely with teams to frame user needs and behaviour, define optimized user flow, and tweak pixels before launch. You’ll mentor junior and senior designers, and will collaborate with a multidisciplinary UX, product management, data, and engineering team to deliver thoughtful and polished design work that is grounded in solid research and validation.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
- Improving the user experience. You’ll work on projects from start to finish, while participating in various UX initiatives including design sprints to define and explore user problems, content mapping, sketching, wireframing, low and high fidelity prototyping, and leading stakeholder reviews. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work
- Shipping valuable and high-quality work, without sacrificing speed.
- Applying strategic thinking to visualize ideas and concepts and communicate them effectively and compellingly for internal stakeholders, partners and customers
- Running design thinking workshops and helping to guide, improve, and implement design and feedback processes
- Mentoring junior and senior designers, and helping lead critique, design reviews, and quarterly planning
- Collaborating with different disciplines. You will work closely with data folks, engineers, product managers to explore, build and ship your designs. You will help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project and ultimately build and ship the best products while continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change
Relevant experience for the role
- Expert knowledge of the end to end iterative UX product design process, including job stories, journey mapping, creating user flow charts, content modelling, wire-framing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working with cross-functional teams including development, product management, and user research
- A deep empathy for the user and an ability to become an expert in new areas
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
- Ability to turn a complex problem into a simple solution, leveraging education best practices and creating new mental models
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Sketch, etc.
- Experience using data to inform your work is a plus
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: Friday, May 29th at 12pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.