In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, Nigeria and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We recently piloted sending remittances to Senegal and are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We know design can help us make a great impression on potential users as well as hiring candidates. We recently worked with a design firm to develop a new brand and update the look and feel to our website, iOS and Android apps. We're looking for someone to join our team to pickup where the design firm left off and to work hand-in-hand with our product teams to advance our apps as well as help us as a company to implement our new brand across our marketing materials and website through launch and then helping us iterate and improve on them thereafter.
Your main responsibilities will be
- Understand and express our mission, values, strategy and users' needs through design with a primary focus on our user facing apps and website and able to help out on our marketing and other branded materials when needed
- Develop and take ownership of a companywide brand design style guide of reusable components.
- Produce sketches and comprehensive layouts of mobile app, web page, and print designs, gather feedback and iterate.
- Finish, slice, export and debug assets (images, stylesheets and android layouts) for use in website and mobile apps on different devices (an engineer will have some time to help with the process as needed).
- Understand and apply iOS, Android and web platform design principles and best-practices.
- You’ve been a designer across the full life-cycle of core features of a mobile or web product in the past and you probably have 4+ of professional ui/ux design experience ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment.
- You’ve worked hand-in-hand with product managers, engineers and marketers in the past and you know how to operate as part of an integrated team
- You know how to develop, iterate on, and communicate your designs and are fluent in design tools such as Sketch, Abstract, Invision etc.
- You have strong user research skills and can apply what you hear and learn to improve upon existing designs or to generate new ones
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- You have a willingness to travel 4 weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are a creative and flexible problem solver, and interested in finding the best solutions for our particular needs
- Like getting in the weeds and making projects happen
- Are excited about multiple kinds of work and want to help out where it’s needed
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Experience with print or graphic design
- Have experience in fintech
- Speak French
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France or Belgium.
- This is a contract position with the possibility of becoming permanent in the future. This position reports to the Head of Product.
- Our team of 50-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. Recently we’ve been to Miami Beach (Florida) and Estes Park (Colorado).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.