CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS, is the world’s largest publisher of premium digital content and a perennial top 10 Internet company. CBS Interactive’s brands span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and gaming.
Properties include the websites, apps and streaming services of the CBS Television Network such as the CBS All Access subscription service, CBS News Digital platforms including the 24/7 digital news network CBSN, and CBS Sports Digital brands including the 24-hour streaming sports news network CBS Sports HQ, as well as digital-first properties in key content verticals, including CNET, ZDNet, TVGuide.com, GameSpot, Last.fm, Metacritic and Chowhound.
Follow CBS Interactive on Twitter and Facebook.
CBS News Digital develops, manages, and distributes the product suite (web & apps) for CBS News and a number of high-profile, major media brands, including 60 Minutes, The CBS Evening News, Face the Nation, and CBS This Morning. We are also home to CBSN, our 24-hour CBS News digital network, streamed over a million times a day, featuring live anchored coverage by CBS News correspondents, including breaking news and original programming from around the globe.
Download the CBS News mobile app, watch us on Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire TV or on your desktop at www.CBSNews.com
We are looking for an innovative product designer to join the CBS News Digital design team.
The successful candidate is someone who will design for our desktop, mobile and connected TV (AppleTV, Roku, etc…) platforms.
As an organization, we place a premium on design and usability. Creating beautiful and intuitive apps and sites is a significant focus of our roadmap. CBS News is truly cross-platform - we value design and brand consistency across devices, and are seeking a Product Designer to help us develop interactive design solutions and consistent user interfaces across these platforms.
We seek a designer whose work displays both a pixel-level attention to detail, as well as an acute understanding of broader usability paradigms. Someone who is able to transform complex concepts into simple, approachable experiences that are easy to use and visually balanced, across any device. A team player that lives and breathes the interactive space.
The position reports directly to the Creative Director, and will work closely and collaboratively with a talented team of product managers and developers. Our environment is one that genuinely rewards initiative, good ideas, and creative problem solving.
Our designers are encouraged and expected to contribute at all stages of product development. You will have significant input on shaping premium, cutting-edge, high-traffic apps and sites.
- Work on video-centric app and site designs, for major CBS News brands, from concept to interaction-flows and wireframes, to final design specs
- Meet with the Product Team regularly to whiteboard ideas, iterate rapidly, and hammer out UI/X requirements
- Provide meticulously organized design files and specs, as well as interactive prototypes to developers
- Present your work to various stakeholders, explaining your creative process and how your final design aligns with the product goals.
- QA/UAT development builds from a design perspective and log change requests and feedback
- Incorporate the CBS News visual brand sensibilities in all designs, consistently and efficiently
- Quickly adapt to fast moving timelines and variable project requirements
- Keep up with the latest Android, iOS and OTT releases, design trends and innovations
- Design for the CBS News mobile apps
- Design for the CBS News OTT apps
- Continuing responsive design work for cbsnews.com, as well as show sites for 60 Minutes, The CBS Evening News, and others
- Design and UI work on our video player products, to optimize usability and increase engagement around live video
- Develop and maintain style guides
What you bring to the team:
You have -
- 5+ years of Product Design experience, ideally content-rich products, for a high-traffic media company
- The ability to demonstrate project work through all stages of design and development
- Strong experience designing for iOS, Android and OTT apps
- Strong visual design sense, clean command over interaction design, typography and usability
- Proficiency in wireframing and prototyping (Sketch and InVision are our tools of choice)
- A solid portfolio showcasing exceptional UX and UI work across multiple platforms.
- Excellent communication skills, self-motivation, and a fine eye for detail.
- A mastery of Sketch
- Awareness of the trends and technology in the mobile space
You might also have -
- Experience leading or managing designers
- Experience with data visualization
- BA in design from a leading institution
- A keen editorial sensibility, and engaged awareness of the news