UI/UX Product Designer
Planes is a young digital product studio, started by two friends who liked making great products together. As we grow that will always be our essence - to work on products we believe in with people we enjoy every day.
Our background is in startups, not agencies. We prefer shipping code, listening to users and iterating quickly rather than long lunches, ‘expert’ reports and death by powerpoint. This approach has lead us to work with all sorts of people, from international fin-tech providers to startups, building products that their users love.
A small and nimble team, we work collaboratively to produce work that we are proud of and our clients love. We are made up of designers, engineers and product lovers who are all entrepreneurs by nature.
We are looking for a UX/UI Product Designer to join our team full time. You will be responsible for designing new features and enhancements on several products for external clients. You will also have the opportunity to work on new products as they arise. Day to day, you would could be doing any of the following activities:
- Running user interviews to uncover insights
- Designing and building prototypes
- Testing prototypes with users to understand usability and solution fit
- Collaborating with clients, developers, and other members of Planes to find solutions to problems.
- Running product demos and sprint planning sessions with clients and the development team
- Researching and making recommendations for solutions to product problems, or to help with product goals
- Wireframing and mapping out user journeys
- Detail-design ready for development handoff
In addition to design, you will also have a product mindset and have an interest in Product Management type work . With this, you will progressively become more involved in working with the client to intelligently prioritise new features, write specifications, and managing the development sprints to see your designs become a reality.
For this role, you will have at least 1-2 years of professional experience working as a UX/UI product (mobile and web0 designer as part of a product team. You will need to be a great communicator, and a superb team player. The following experience would help you in the role:
- UX research/design; an appreciation of how users interact with products, how to map and measure these journeys and the ability to improve them.
- Experience working with and developing design systems (atomic design)
- Designing for digital products alongside developers
- Use of Design Systems/component libraries to help smooth developer hand off
- Experience with Figma and maybe Principal
- Exposure to delivering digital projects;
- Exposure to the principles of agile development.
- Client facing; communicating directly with clients both written and in person
- Experience translating designs or requirements to user stories for developers to build
- Project planning; aptitude at managing many moving parts and conflicting stakeholders requirements
Working at Planes
We are a relatively relaxed bunch, and believe that if we hire adults and treat them like them we won't need any baby sitters. As such we leave it to you to decide where and when you will do your best work. If you need to stay at home and nut out a tough problem so be it, if you have to come in late because you are dancing at Morning Glory -power too you! That being said, we all tend to spend most of our time in the studio because we have more fun working together, so this is not a fully remote role.
We are also a social bunch and since we work with people we like we tend to hang out after work too. We don't really plan anything but tend to find ourselves doing at least one activity together a month be it mountain biking, rock climbing or just going out for beers. We also get that you have your own life too, so won't be upset if you can't join us every Friday night.
Holidays are the spice of life, so on top of your 28 days a year, we also let you take up to a month of leave without pay if you like to do even more adventuring.
If this sounds like a piece of you, please send through a short (no longer than one paragraph) intro on you, a portfolio of your work (links to Dribbble/Behance etc are fine if you have them) along with your CV.
If we like what we see we will start with a phone call. Following that we will invite you in to have a chat over a (zoom)coffee.
In light of COVID
Much like the rest of the world, we have been a fully remote team the last several months. While we're all pining to get back into the office, we've been working effectively while remote.
We're planning to get back into the office as soon as we are comfortable from a health and safety perspective, but there will be no requirement for anyone in the team to be back in the office until they also personally comfortable doing so.