Principal Product Designer
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our mission hinges on design: designing a product that helps readers discover the stories that matter to them; designing an ecosystem that supports and rewards quality writing; designing an experience that respects intelligence and is worth paying for. We are building this future, one product release at a time, and looking to designers to help lead the way.
We are looking for a Principal Product Designer with exceptional design vision and craftsmanship, who can lead and execute in a fast-paced environment. You have the ability to translate high-level strategy into compelling and beautiful user experiences. You generate tons of ideas and can prototype them quickly, and you excel at crafting both intuitive UX and beautiful visual design. This is a high-impact role with the opportunity to shape how millions of people discover and share ideas every day. We are hiring a Principal Designer for both our Reader Experience team and our Creators team.
What you'll do:
- Lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. You set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and editorial teams to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Evaluate the success of existing products and features, and develop designs to support business objectives.
- Bring new ideas to the table that expand the capabilities of the product.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Embody and establish best practices for the design team, acting as a mentor to fellow designers.
Who you are:
- You love big sweeping ideas but also enjoy the details. From product ideation and system thinking to kerning and grids, you demonstrate a capacity and enthusiasm for the spectrum of design. You can help lay the groundwork to set new problem spaces up for success, and you can provide exceptional hands-on execution as necessary.
- You’re able to rapidly ideate and iterate in a fluid startup environment. You are comfortable with ambiguity and have shown an ability to bring clarity and structure to a complex system or user experience challenge.
- You’re a team player and facilitator who can collaborate easily with everyone from more junior designers to engineers to executives. You engage with teammates with clarity, openness, and curiosity.
- You’re a strong communicator who can present your vision and design rationale in a compelling, convincing manner to the wider team.
- You know how to design for the long-term, but also how to iterate quickly to get to a first version of that future.
- You have experience working in an agile environment with fellow design, product, engineering and insights leaders to align on product strategy and make great things as a team.
- Coding and prototyping skills are a strong plus!
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We understand the value of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.