Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a Product Designer to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll work alongside the product manager and the engineering lead as part of the core product trio responsible for jointly making critical decisions about product strategy.
- Work closely with UX researchers to inform strategic direction and carry out a user-centered design approach.
- Create mockups and design artifacts as needed to help the team develop a shared understanding of the product vision.
- Uphold user-centered design principles and evangelize its value to stakeholders, engagement partners, and subject matter experts.
- Promote empathy for the general public and government workers as we seek to improve their tools and technology.
- Represent Skylight's culture of service excellence when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors.
What we’re looking for:
- You have 4-7 years of experience designing web (and/or mobile) applications.
- Your work shows a strong foundation in visual design. You obsess over the details while having the restraint to know when something is good enough to ship.
- You’re the proverbial T-shaped designer with a solid core competence in UX and interaction design and functional capability in product strategy, and lean UX.
- You’re an effective communicator and facilitator within a remote environment. You’ve planned and led structured workshops to gain alignment, and drive outcomes.
- You’re able to collaborate with engineers to solve design problems innovatively while understanding constraints within complex technical systems.
- You have an online portfolio that showcases products that shipped — especially those that solved problems for customers within complex ecosystems.
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/company/values/).
- Ability to travel from time to time (when it's safe).
- Prior experience working in government/civic space.
- Early-stage product experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with conducting lean experiments.
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities for an economic stake in the company's success
- Performance bonuses, referral bonuses, publication bonuses, and public speaking bonuses
- Medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, dependent care FSA, healthcare FSA, and health savings account
- Dollar-for-dollar 401(k) match up to 10% of your salary
- Flexible paid-time-off policy (minimum of 29 days), which covers any type of leave (such as holiday, sick, and vacation) that you need or want to take
- Minimum of 9 weeks paid time off for all eligible new birth, adoption, or foster parents
- Annual $2,000 professional development allowance
- Annual budget of up to $750 for tech-related purchases
- Access up to $1,000 before payday to cover emergency expenses
- Incentives for living in a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map), including relocation assistance and a monthly stipend to help offset the cost of rent or mortgage
- Dollar-for-dollar charity donation matching, up to $500 per year
- Remote-friendly work environment
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
We participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
We're an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.