African Leadership International
ABOUT THE AFRICAN LEADERSHIP GROUP
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource - its people. Fuelled by this, the African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared moonshot vision to harness Africa's abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and investing in 3 million ethical and entrepreneurial leaders by 2035. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019 and his partners. The Group has also been recognised by Fast Company when ALU was awarded as 2019's most innovative company in Africa for "remaking education for a new era". As a Group, our focus is to continue scaling this mission at a pace never seen before.
ALX is a Leadership Development platform driven by an audacious goal to develop 3 million young leaders over the next 15 years. ALX offers a revolutionary learning model that empowers young leaders across Africa to unlock their potential by instilling 21st century skills and mindsets that equip them to tackle challenges, capture and create opportunities for millions more to accelerate their impact in Africa and beyond.
ABOUT THE JOB
The mission of the UX Designer job is defining and bringing to life the full user journey and the arc of experience that a user will go to over 6-12 months. The goals of the UX Designer job are Define the full end-to-end user journey map, including the emotional experience arc, meaningful interactions & touchpoints, With your product team, translate the journey map into the specific features to be developed and Contribute to building our design system while creating everything from design flows to prototypes to production ready designs.
Some of the main activities of this role will be:
- To unearth user insights and working with the team to translate them into the product experience
- To build and testing prototypes
- To design interaction flows and interfaces
JOB SKILLS, MINDSETS & BACKGROUND
- You have a portfolio that showcases your design process as well as specific examples of great mobile experiences you have designed.
- You have experience in a rapid growth environment and enjoy the scope of opportunity involved in taking thing from idea to reality.
- You have previous experience designing products for the 18-25 year old customer segment, particularly in the African context.
- You ask what could be possible, rather than what has worked in the past.
- Iterative mindset: You rigorously use data to identify opportunities for refinement and improvement.
- Human centered design: You have comfort and fluency with the entire human centered design paradigm and toolkit, including needfinding, concept development, and rapid prototyping & experimentation.
- You have deep expertise in using either Figma or Sketch to create high fidelity interface designs (we use Figma, but we find experience in Sketch translates well).
- You are familiar with mobile first design but capability to design for cross platform applications.
- You can work in an empowered cross-functional teams.
YOU WILL THRIVE AT ALX IF...
- Initiative & Courage: You have an owners’ approach and you are proactive with what needs to be done; you also embrace risks and failure
- Humility & Adaptability: You have a beginners’ mindset and you always seek to learn; you are also flexible and embrace pivoting
- Possibility & Adventure: You are passionate about life, you have a growth mindset and you can thrive on uncertain circumstances and uncharted territory
- Resilience: You tackle difficult situations with a can-do attitude and are relentless in the pursuit of your goals
- Emergent Leadership: You are aware, and can manage, your emotions and those of others very well, you also have an empathetic, collaborative approach to leadership and you love working with others
ALX’S EMPLOYEE VALUE
- Purpose: You want to add meaning to your life by joining the movement that is transforming Africa, and the world, and experience your personal impact
- Culture: You want to join a Fun and Flexible (remote friendly!) and Fearless work environment that empowers employees to be bold and disruptive
- Growth: You want to be part of a world-class team from around the planet and create a career within the organization with vertical and lateral opportunities
THE YL TALENT DEVELOPMENT TEAM’S EMPLOYEE VALUE
- We find joy every day through working with amazing people to build solutions to interesting and difficult problems.
- We form teams in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, so we prize holistically focused collaboration.
- We focus on outcomes rather than inputs, and we give teams the autonomy to achieve those outcomes in the way that works best for them.
- We are building something big & ambitious, so there is immense room for growth, for exploration, and for learning.
- This is an environment where we will expect people to do incredible work, and we will create the space and the support to enable incredible work by actively minimizing the things that don't lead to incredible work happening.
We would also like to remind you that this is a remote job ;)
Would you like to join us as we work hard, have fun and make history?