Senior UX Researcher
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education, and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise has become central to many more families and organizations than ever before. Our business is growing explosively and as of July, 400,000 learners have taken more than over 1.3M class hours. We've already doubled our team so far this year to keep up with growth. As well as growing our business, we're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer $1M in financial assistance to families in need. We're Series A stage, have raised $22M in funding and are profitable.
Data plays an important role in how we make decisions at Outschool. As our company grows, so does our need for rigorous, ongoing feedback from learners, parents and teachers. As a UX Researcher at Outschool, you will help us stay connected to our learning community’s needs and experiences as we scale by conducting end-to-end research, from early exploratory initiatives to post-release validation. You’ll be joining a burgeoning research team at a fast-growing, mission-driven startup where your work will have the potential for major impact on our company, and on the lives of teachers and families across the world.
What You'll Do
- Work cross-functionally with design, product, and marketing teams to surface research needs
- Proactively plan and execute user research throughout the strategy, design and development lifecycle
- Independently conduct end-to-end qualitative/quantitative studies to answer key business/product questions
- Identify the best method(s) based on research questions, timeline, product lifecycle and resourcing
- Plan and carry out interviews, surveys, prototype testing, etc.
- Synthesize data and report findings to stakeholders
- Work with minimal supervision on multiple concurrent projects
- Contribute to the development of a data-driven understanding of Outschool’s users and potential users, contributing to smart segmentation and persona development
- Take on additional strategic projects as capacity allows
- You have 3+ years experience in UX research, preferably in a startup environment.
- You have the experience and savvy to know when to be lean and scrappy and when to be rigorous
- You have the ability to execute in a fast-paced, agile environment
- You have superior facilitation, presentation, written and verbal communication skills; you can quickly distill complex ideas to their essence and socialize findings with ease
- You’re business and product savvy - you know how to conduct and deliver research that will drive decisions at the company
- You’re a highly collaborative people-person: you thrive on connecting with and helping others, whether they’re users or teammates
- You are comfortable working as an independent contractor
- You’re supremely detail oriented
- You have a passion for education and learning
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.