African Leadership International
ABOUT THE AFRICAN LEADERSHIP GROUP
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource - its people. Fuelled by this, the African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared moonshot vision to harness Africa's abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and investing in 3 million ethical and entrepreneurial leaders by 2035. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019 and his partners. The Group has also been recognised by Fast Company when ALU was awarded as 2019's most innovative company in Africa for "remaking education for a new era". As a Group, our focus is to continue scaling this mission at a pace never seen before.
ABOUT ALX & THE ROOM
ALX is a Leadership Development platform driven by an audacious goal to develop 3 million young leaders over the next 15 years. ALX offers a revolutionary learning model that empowers young leaders across Africa to unlock their potential by instilling 21st century skills and mindsets that equip them to tackle challenges, capture and create opportunities for millions more to accelerate their impact in Africa and beyond.
Building the next big thing - Just as Netflix leverages algorithms to match us with personalised recommendations for film, as Spotify does for music and as does Amazon for shopping; The Room will use thousands of data points to catalogue the capabilities, passions and aspirations of the world's top talent; and use this insight to match this talent to each other and to opportunities that can accelerate their impact. We have plans to scale to 10-15 million members in the next few years" - Excerpt from Fred's note
ABOUT THE JOB
The mission of the UI/UX Designer job is to design amazing applications for both internal and external customers. The goals of the UI/UX Designer job are to translate any given user-experience journey into a smooth and intuitive interaction and to our product more user-friendly and intuitive to attract and retain customers.
The main activities of this role will be to
- To collaborate with other designers, product owners, developers, and stakeholders throughout all phases of the product development lifecycle.
- To participate in the planning process for new features and projects in collaboration with an agile, multi-disciplinary team.
- To maintain, guide, and communicate UX/UI consistency across products and platforms.
- To contribute to the development and maintenance of the live style guide and other components of the design system.
- To present and communicate design solutions to business and technical stakeholders.
JOB SKILLS, MINDSETS & BACKGROUND
- You have 8+ years of relevant work experience.
- You hold a bachelors in Computer Science or a major in Human-Computer Interaction.
- You have proficiency in one or more of the following disciplines: user research, interaction design, information architecture, visual design; exposure to and interest in growing in the others.
- You have experience translating user needs into visual assets.
- You have experience analyzing both quantitative and qualitative data and presenting findings and recommendations.
- You have experience with rapid prototyping and visualization.
- You have experience leveraging research and usability strategy deliverables such as discovery findings, mental models, scenarios, user journey maps, personas, debrief documentation, screeners, testing plans, task lists, low and high fidelity prototypes, annotated wireframes, and/or clickable prototypes.
- You have experience with approaches to translating findings into tangible designs such as heuristic reviews, usability testing, competitive product analysis, web metrics data, field research, quantitative surveys, user interviews, and personal development.
- You have experience with rapid prototyping and visualization tools such as Axure, Sketch, Invision, Adobe CC, and Figma
- You have experience with visual software tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Fireworks.
- You have proficiency in using style guides, iconography, and/or typography.
- You have experience working as part of a collaborative, cross-functional modern software design and development team.
- Detail centered creativity: You have an eye for detail, beauty, and design
YOU WILL LOVE THIS JOB IF...
- Humanity Centered: You believe in humanity’s ability to self-improve, and are passionate about leveraging technology to solve human-centric problems
- Impact Creation Mindset: You seek to create lasting impact by solving problems that address systemic growth challenges
- Accountability: You have an “owner’s approach” to be able to deliver on minimal supervision
- Think Big: You think in terms of “Big Hairy Audacious Goals”, building technology systems, processes and teams that are envisioned to solve problems along decades-long horizons
- Strategic Planning: You enjoy bringing structure, order, and focus of execution and build quantifiable roadmaps for visionary outcomes that may take a generation or more to realize
- Emergent Leadership: You enjoy working collaboratively with experts from diverse backgrounds while driving for excellence and instilling a “data first” mindset
YOU WILL THRIVE AT ALX & THE ROOM IF...
- Courage & Initiative: You have an owners’ approach to deliver on our plans & ideas and the entrepreneurial mindset to take risks and embrace failure
- Humility & Adaptability: You have a beginners’ mindset and always seek to learn and you are flexible and embrace pivoting
- Possibility & Adventure: You are passionate about life and have a growth mindset, focusing on the solutions to drive scale and achieve ambitious goals
- Resilience: You tackle difficult situations with a can-do attitude and are relentless in the pursuit of your goals
- Emergent leadership & Emotional Intelligence: You are self-aware and can manage your emotions and you have an empathic, collaborative approach to leadership and love working with others
OUR EMPLOYEE VALUE PROPOSITION
ALX & THE ROOM’S EMPLOYEE VALUE
- Purpose: You want to add meaning to your life by joining the movement that is transforming Africa, and the world, and experience your personal impact
- Culture: You want to join a Fun and Flexible (remote friendly!) and Fearless work environment that empowers employees to be bold and disruptive
- Growth: You want to be part of a world-class team from around the planet and create a career within the organization with vertical and lateral opportunities
“It takes a generation to make a change” - FRED SWANIKER, CEO