Senior User Researcher
We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.
We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
User Research champions the human-centred exploration of complex problems using evidence, data and insight to help us make better decisions. We are looking for an experienced Senior User Researcher with an appetite to sit at the forefront of defining how AI can augment clinicians to improve medical care and healthier communities. You will execute meaty research problems and help define the future of how Babylon designs and develops products including the orchestration of virtual and physical services.
This Senior User Researcher role is within the Self Care Super Tribe. This role focuses on the end to end Member (or patient) experience for our US product.
You will support the work of multiple squads according to key priorities running strategic and tactical User Research projects with your cross-functional peers. You’ll be connecting insights and approaches across multiple squads and collaborating with colleagues across time zones and other tribes to encourage a joined-up view. You will help build relationships with US based stakeholders, shaping Design Research capability and processes, playing a key role in scaling methods, tools and activities that deliver value and forge strong relationships.
- Collaborating with the other researchers in Self Care to define the Design Research roadmap for Self Care and acting as the named researcher / point of contact for member / patient research in the US .
- Collaborate with Data analysts, design and product on what and how to measure success in the product.
- You will manage your own time based on having an in depth understanding of the strategic and commercial priorities of the tribe and business and knowing how your work ladders up into this - you will prioritise based on what work will bring the biggest benefits and you will be able to succinctly and accurately explain this and your decisions to your team so that they understand the context for their work.
- You will run your own user research as part of a cross-functional team, but also have the skills and passion to proactively support other team members to do research as and when needed.
- Flexibly and accurately deploying a number of research methods to understand different user groups. Undertaking strategic and tactical research projects that support problem definition as well as solution refinement.
- Executing a collaborative research process end-to-end including participant recruitment, creating prototypes and stimuli, and turning insights into actions for product development.
- Work closely with designers to provide data-driven decisions and collaborate on the creation of research artefacts to use during sessions (i.e. prototypes). Review together research insights to apply to designs.
- Creating compelling and actionable research deliverables and insights which inspire empathy and drive both pragmatic and innovative solutions.
- Understanding and taking into account technical and business requirements when running research, including helping articulate how research is prioritised by the team.
- Building strong relationships at a Tribe level and taking on responsibility for the delivery of high quality and robust design research outcomes.
- Defining and documenting our Research Operations processes for patient research in the US, working closely with legal and compliance to ensure our methods are rigorous and ethical.
- Analysing and integrating app analytics, surveys, market research and other quantitative research data as relevant.
- Actively shaping how we work together and build products.
- Facilitating brainstorming and working sessions with cross-disciplinary teams.
Key Skills Required:
- You’re a detail-oriented and effective practitioner that consistently delivers high quality outputs and engaging insights.
- You have critical thinking and always ask the right questions to make sure the product strives for excellence and everyone gets the best of each research.
- Able to communicate research effectively, regardless of audience.
- Passionate about bringing the lens of data and research to the product development process.
- You have a passion to build a product that serves humanity
- You are compassionate and caring towards others. You respect the views and ideas of others;
- You work in a straight-forward, collaborative and inclusive way and is non-political;
- You are tenacious, in the pursuit to delight our users. You strive for excellence in all you do and always look to improve our service and product;
- You regularly seek to turn ideas into action and inject creativity into every touch point. You question common practice to challenge the norm;
- Frequently has a can-do attitude and a positive viewpoint;
- Takes ownership and always delivers against what is agreed.
- You are experienced in the execution of multiple mixed-method research approaches. On top of your strong general toolkit, you also have deep specialisation in a few key methods or areas which make you a go-to person in the team:
- You have demonstrable experience of a wide range of evaluative research methods and techniques.
- You have led generative or discovery projects for a product or an entire service.
- You have a wide-reaching understanding of frameworks and psychological principles that you are confident in applying.
- Familiarity with quantitative research methods, an understanding of metrics and A/B testing, and willingness to integrate quantitative data with qualitative user research
- You proactively and confidently take the lead in syncing up insights across a product area, participating in processes and rituals that help break down silos and socialise cross-functional insights.
- You take responsibility for sharing insights and creating a strong narrative that ensures people understand what they are building, why, and what impact it will have.
Research Leadership Skills:
- As well as your craft skills, you are beginning to hone your leadership skills and scale your impact through advising, guiding and reviewing the work of others.
- You are able to establish rapport with a wide variety of colleagues and are an eager advocate of User Research.
- You love giving and receiving honest, thoughtful feedback.
- You support our team culture of openness and transparency where people feel safe and able to do their best work.
- You connect your team’s efforts with a deep understanding of the wider ecosystem around you, working closely with the other researchers in your tribe and cross-functional teams to inform a seamless and human-centred experience.
- You have the confidence to say no to work that you feel compromises ethics or quality, escalating concerns on behalf of yourself and your team where appropriate.
- You support tribe leadership in shaping the future of the product by taking research and turning it into valuable insights that power their decision making.
Essential Qualifications & Experience:
- You have at least four years' experience leading User Research to aid product development in fast-paced agile cross-functional teams.
- You’ve been working in an in-house, agency or consultancy role, leading the delivery of end-to-end human-centred research that directly supports shipped products, capacity-building programmes or strategic initiatives.
- You will have a degree in a related field (for example Human/Computer Interaction, UX Research, Psychology, Social Science, Anthropology).
- Experience in healthcare research would be highly desirable.
- You have experience evangelising User Research within a growing organisation.
We believe that difference inspires a better, healthier world. That’s why it’s at the heart of everything we do. From our people to our products, difference enriches every part of our business and creates a culture based on equality of opportunity, and in which all Babylonians can progress their careers. We’re committed to creating an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
At Babylon, we have Power of Diversity groups (PODs) to drive positive engagements that create and foster a diverse and inclusive environment and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.
Our mission is to put an accessible and affordable health service in the hands of every person on earth. Diversity and inclusion play a key role in helping us bring this mission to life and create a true sense of belonging for all.