When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 24 billion digitized global historical records, 100 million family trees, and 16+ million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain actionable insights about their health and wellness. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? You belong at Ancestry.
Ancestry’s Onboarding and Member Experience team is looking for a highly motivated UX Design Intern to join us for Summer 2021. The experiences we create allow people on our platform to onboard to the Ancestry experience, connect with other members, and be successful in finding new discoveries quickly and easily.
As a UX Design Intern, you will work closely with a dedicated design mentor within a warm and friendly design team. Partnering with customers, product managers, user researchers, and software engineers, your work will bring digital experiences to life. Learning how to communicate your concepts and requirements to a cross functional team, you will gain experience working in an agile development environment. Your work will impact millions of customers across Ancestry’s family history and DNA products and be seen by Ancestry leadership, your Intern peers, and your coworkers.
What You'll Do:
- Contribute to product vision using data, analytics, benchmarking, and user feedback to define problems and opportunities
- Partner with consumer insight teams, data scientists in biology and genomics, professional genealogists, legal partners and other stakeholders to inform decisions
- Communicate design solutions through sketches, user flows, wireframes, mockups, and high-fidelity prototypes
- Define user test plans, conduct testing to validate concepts, and transfer insights into quality experiences
- Participate in scrum events with a team of software engineers to define how designs will be built, tested and released on Ancestry’s platform of web, mobile web and native applications
Who You Are:
- Must be currently enrolled in a university and graduating after Summer 2021
- Pursuing an undergraduate or Master’s degree in visual design (UX, UI, human-centered, interactive, or similar design discipline)
- Submit a portfolio with work that showcases proficiency in the UX design process and high-quality visual design (these 2-3 projects can consist of actual work and/or coursework)
- Confidence in UX design tools such as Sketch, Figma and Invision
- Use of additional design, prototyping, motion design tools (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite), a plus
It takes customer obsession to pioneer and focus on what matters most, to tackle challenges, break through boundaries to create change, to stay on the cutting edge, and pioneer relentlessly. We are looking for the next generation of talent to drive the business, grow our people, and put the customer before all else. Our culture empowers journeys of personal discovery, giving you the freedom to participate in impactful projects and explore the intersections of our businesses: technology, data science, Health, DNA science, product, design, marketing, legal, and more. We’re looking for innovative minds, diverse ideas, and for students interested in connecting personal discoveries and technology. Our Interns enjoy mentorship and experience challenging work while receiving fantastic pay, fully-paid temporary housing, and having a fun captivating experience—we have it all. Oh, and did we mention the possibility of full-time employment once you graduate?
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means