Senior Quantitative UX Researcher
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
As a Senior Quantitative UX Researcher for our team, you'll be working every day to empower our customers by bringing their needs into our company strategy. While working with team partners, you'll help determine the product roadmap through rigorous investigation, focusing on areas requiring in-depth customer discovery. You'll help build our research practice, develop methodologies that help grow Convoy's research culture.
Quantitative UX Researchers do this by leveraging empirical research methods from computer science, quantitative social science, statistics, econometrics, data science, and other fields to understand user behavior and extract meaningful patterns from larger data sets. In this role, you'll combine skills in experimental design, statistical analysis, programming, and human-computer interaction to improve user experience. You'll work with stakeholders across functions and levels. You'll solve challenging problems and empower the team to move forward by developing metrics, measuring results, and integrating new methodologies into existing systems. Through reports and team engagement, you provide a UX perspective on quantitative data to help stakeholders understand their users. You'll also identify and quantify problems, and embark on new research areas worth exploring through innovative methods.
Quantitative UX Research differs from data science roles as it focuses primarily on the application of data science to User Experience problems and understanding user needs rather than pure business or market modeling. Quantitative UX Research discovers and defines the metrics and the users intent and works backwards to the business metrics (rather than the other way around). Quantitative UX Researchers also combine quantitative behavioral and attitudinal data to qualitative data to create greater understanding via triangulation.
- Partner with Design Leads, Product Managers, Engineering, and Data Science to uncover customer needs and metrics that help deliver exceptional product experiences via quantitative channels (both behavioral and attitudinal, i.e. telemetry and survey)
- Work in partnership with product teams on the highest impact ares for both customers and the business
- Build up the quantitative UX research discipline. From development and evolution of methodologies, to building up the logistical processes for you and others to execute on quantitative UX research
We're looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years in quantitative user experience roles. This can be as a Data Scientist, UX research, product research, or equivalent
- Knowledge of a range of quantitative research methodologies, with an ability to apply process and synthesize results in areas of high ambiguity. Should be able to demonstrate this knowledge tangibly via a portfolio of work
- Expertise working with multiple data sets such as telemetry, sentiment, and unstructured data sets and combining them with qualitative insights to paint a holistic picture
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an aptitude for telling engrossing stories both orally and in written form
- Strong SQL skills and experience with ETL pipelines
- The ability to extract, merge, shape, and analyze data from various sources using one of the following programming languages Python or R (C, C++, Java, etc are a bonus)
- Experience with Tableau, SQL, Snowflake, Metabase, or other reporting tools
- A minimum of Bachelors degree in an experimental field (psychology, sociology, biology, chemistry, physics, etc) or considerable industry experience.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!