Academia’s mission is to accelerate the world's research. We do this in many ways; i.e. condense the life cycle of publishing from months to minutes; provide open access to this research to everyone- for free; foster open discussion and enable the near real-time collaboration of experts and professionals on research material from every domain to facilitate the advancement of scientific discovery for the common good.
Academia.edu is searching for an experienced User Researcher to join our passionate, mission-driven research team. In this role you will conduct foundational and tactical research to understand the needs and product experiences of our diverse users. You will work cross-functionally to identify research needs, execute mixed-methods research, build user empathy across the company, and inspire Product with actionable recommendations.
We are a small team so you’ll be able to impact new and existing products, and to collaborate with PMs, leadership, engineering, marketing, and data science. We are also looking for someone eager to propose and experiment with new research methods, tools, and processes that upskill our team.
*This is a fully remote role during covid work from home guidance; the company’s executive staff will decide post-covid lockdown work policies at the appropriate time*
- Work with product teams to understand key questions and business goals
- Propose, plan, and carry out foundational and tactical user research using a variety of methods
- Contribute to overall strategy and decision-making about product direction
- Create foundational artifacts, such as user personas, journeys, and jobs to be done
- Identify opportunities for new offerings and improvements by synthesizing information across sources
- Be an avid advocate for our users and creatively share user insights to increase user empathy
- Guide and support PMs and Designers in conducting their own research when resources are limited
What We're Looking For:
- B.A. in a social or behavioral science, HCI, UX Design, or other field with a research component
- Minimum 3 years of post-graduation experience working on consumer-facing software products
- Expertise with research planning, execution, and analysis using multiple methods
- Ability to distill findings into actionable insights and product recommendations that have impact
- Ability to plan and execute research quickly and independently, in a rapidly-changing environment
- Strong communication, collaboration and time-management skills
Diversity and Inclusion:
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.