The Customers department holds all the intelligence about the shopper, preferences and habits, and the interfaces they will use to manage their shopping experience, personal information and preferences. Payments is a critical part of the shopping process as well as to subscriptions and handling refunds. This department will develop the payments services to enable the use of this functionality.
This role leads a team of UX Designers that underpin Ocado Technology's user focus, merging users and business needs to design great products and solutions for our clients. In this role, the UX Lead will act as a bridge between the end-user and technical / business worlds. Working with the Principal UX, Principal and Senior Product Managers, and Engineering managers to deliver world leading ecommerce experiences to our users.
You’ll share accountability for key UX design decisions, ensure teams achieve UX commitments against the delivery plan. You will provide constructive challenges to focus effort on the missions that are important for our product.
Role & Responsibilities
Product Alignment & Collaboration
- Works closely with Product and Engineering teams, ensures UX team deliverables meet user & product stream missions/objectives
- Ensures UX team works collaboratively with Product teams to then generate relevant customer insights & clear UX recommendations aligned to Ecommerce goals
- Makes sure UX team is delivery focussed and UX effort is balanced against product deadlines
- Responsible for improving the tracking and monitoring of system usability to drive continuous and commercially sound improvements
- Works with UX Researchers and Product teams to build awareness of Ecommerce actors/users and feed into broader end-to-end service design blueprints
- Ensures UX teams have the relevant assets to provide a clear rationale for improving the end-to-end
- Makes recommendations to improve product effectiveness by applying design thinking and user centricity, working closely with Product teams to gain agreement
- Mentor/coach broader teams about design thinking & inclusive design
- Fosters a culture where UX team is encouraged to consider multiple solutions and use a blend of qualitative and quantitative insights to rapidly iterate and optimise
- Works with Product Managers to define a Minimum Viable Product that can then be optimised with inputs from the ongoing monitoring of insights and KPIs
- Recommend new design patterns for use in design systems and Influences IA related decisions
- Critiques designs, mentors team to improve usage of visual design principles, hierarchy and typography and shares best practice
- Champions usage of design system in collaboration with the Design System team and engineering teams to drive for and inspire design consistency.
- Drives best practice usage of design tools and mentors UX team to maximise efficiency and quality
- Influences design decisions, managing stakeholders through knowledge of end user and application of design principles
Leading & Influencing
- Ensures UX individuals and teams have actionable, measurable goals, aligned with product strategy and vision
- Helps build a high performing team of UX people, supporting individuals to thrive and the organisation to succeed (e.g. coaching, mentoring, inspiring, feedback, connecting people to experts in other fields)
- Seen as an example of our Behaviours, inspiring others to live the Ocado Technology Behaviours
- Helps to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the UX area and takes ownership for their outcomes
- Collaborates with Product and Engineering teams and feeds into the prioritisation process to ensure UX teams are aligned and contributing to broader team goals
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- You actively demonstrate Ocado Technology behaviours in everything you do
- You contribute to being part of a high performing UX teams when working alongside product & engineering
- You are flexible and adapt to changing business needs and can prioritise work effectively
- You are self managing, organised and able to plan, track and deliver your work on time and to a high standard
- You have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism so that people will always want to have you in their teams
- You are comfortable with processing and visualising data to help create insight, solve problems and inform recommendations
- You are logical and take a structured approach even when there is ambiguity
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills with a good emphasis on careful listening
- You don't settle for good enough, you strive for great in every aspect of your work
- You share knowledge with others internally
- Relevant technology industry experience, Ecommerce knowledge is a plus.
- Experienced working with multidisciplinary teams, including product management, engineering, Data Science
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments. Able to work in a team effectively and/or work autonomously
- Intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities & is able to pick up new skills quickly
- Prioritising UX work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrable experience collaborating with, and influencing product and technology teams
- Capturing business needs and user requirements to support product realisation
- Working with product/ux components that are strategically significant, highly complex, or feature a new area of technology, requiring expansion of the platform
- Demonstrate usage of deep subject matter expertise & experience working across functional areas balancing the needs of many different product areas.
- Leadership and people management experiences welcomed.
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available. We also really encourage people to attend conferences and be involved in the local developer community.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- 25 days of holidays per year
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance (3x your salary)
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- Developer exchange programmes between centres
- English and Spanish language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are building a brand new office in the 22@ district.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.