Heartbeat Health is a venture-funded health tech startup in New York City. We are working to deliver the most effective, efficient, and engaging heart care in the world. By 2030, over 40% of the US population will have heart disease, with direct and indirect costs approaching $1 trillion USD. Heart disease may be the most important health crisis we confront in our time.
Imagine the potential to save over a half a million lives in the United States. Now imagine saving these lives every year. This is how many cardiovascular disease deaths are attributed to preventable factors – nearly 80%. Tackling this issue requires addressing the two major drivers of cardiovascular disease prevention and management: knowledge and behavior.
Our product directly addresses these gaps for both patients and providers. Our members follow easy steps to improve their heart health and receive virtual guidance from a network of world-class cardiologists empowered with evidence-based insights. This simple idea of connecting people and technology with purpose gives every Heartbeat user the superpower to save millions of lives.
Our team consists of passionate and proven physicians, engineers, scientists, designers, and founders attacking this problem from first principles, applying human-centered design, and developing evidence-based AI to solve this global issue.
We collaborate with the American College of Cardiology, and we have been recognized as one of the 150 most promising digital health startups by CB Insights. We are backed by .406 Ventures, Optum Ventures, Kindred Ventures, Lerer Hippeau, Designer Fund, and Max Ventures. We’ve been featured in TechCrunch, CNBC, Fast Company, and Forbes.
At Heartbeat Health, we take a design centric approach to healthcare. You’ll report to our Sr. Creative Director, and collaborate closely with our Principal Designer to help us design the digital and physical experience for various stakeholders. You understand working across several platforms including the web, iOS, watchOS, and Android. You’ll help us evolve and mature our brand and create digital and physical marketing collateral to support our Growth organization. You’ll also help us grow a team that oversees design across the organization.
About the gig
- Work with design leadership to understand and define an ambitious design vision and strategy.
- Evolve and maintain a robust brand and design system, including an asset library, that together enforce brand and UX consistency.
- Work with design leadership to define, prioritize, and execute detailed sprint plans that translate design requirements into stories and tasks.
- Assist in user research and conduct user interviews to identify compelling new product features and opportunities to improve the existing product.
- Conduct Design QA process across design and engineering teams to assure design quality by auditing component implementation during development
- Support the design of the user experience and service offering for patient and clinician workflows, and work with engineers to translate designs to products.
- When needed, assist in creating digital and print collateral to support various business initiatives, including sales, marketing, and operations.
- Work with product and design leadership to analyze and act upon the results of A|B tests to continuously improve the user experience.
- Jump in to help the team fight any manner of fire that immediately and negatively affects the user experience.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional team members.
- Assist in growing the design team within the company.
- Have 4-6+ years of industry experience. Excellence at designing products across iOS, Android, and web platforms.
- Strong UI focus with obsession to details. Thoughtful about inclusive design and accessibility.
- Direct experience with design systems - either creating, maintaining, or using one.
- Support data-driven decisions that translate business goals into product experiences, turning complex problems into simple and elegant user-centric experiences that improve our product experience.
- Have a stunning design portfolio that you can show us.
- Have experience with UX & UI design of mobile apps that have achieved scale.
- Demonstrate fluency in Sketch or Figma and Adobe Creative Suite - bonus points if you have experience as a photographer, videographer, illustrator, or 3D animator.
- Ability to clearly articulate to non-designers on why certain design decisions were made.
- Are able to work closely with team members of various backgrounds, encouraging different perspectives and feedback to constantly improve product and process.
- Are comfortable working in a startup environment: Fast paced with the ability to prioritize projects concurrently.
- You take risks when necessary. You are unafraid to push concepts or ideas beyond their limits.
- Have the ability to work remotely and from our New York City office during occasional team collaboration events.
Qualities that we think make for a great fit include
- Understands the complexity of healthcare and the nuances of clinical workflows. Having cardiovascular knowledge or experience is a huge plus.
- Collaborates incredibly closely with product and non-product stakeholders, at both an individual and team-level, to align work to organization growth goals.
- Dives into need areas as an autonomous, independent, self-starter who is energized by the ability to make improvements without asking for permission.
- Drives focus and culture to embody Product’s role as a cross-functional glue among teams within the organization.
- Manages product design and delivery with the utmost empathy, detail-orientation, and communication to promote on-time, robust, and successful releases.
- Effective prototyping skills.
We are looking for an exceptional, experienced designer with a demonstrated track record of designing products that people love. You have the chops to design the experience yourself, and you have the ability to effectively collaborate with multidisciplinary teams. You’re open to new ideas, thoughtful in your approach, pragmatic in your delivery, constantly learning, and up for a challenge. You elevate the work of those around you. Most importantly: you’re passionate about healthcare and you want to push it forward by creating meaningful experiences that help anyone with a heart. You’re an amazing problem solver who is open to new ideas, thoughtful in your approach, pragmatic in your delivery, constantly learning, and up for a challenge. You elevate the work of those around you.
Heartbeat Return to office plans: Our team has been working from home since March and our plans are to keep our offices closed through the end of the year. We anticipate reopening up our NYC office once it is safe to do so. Given the expectation we'll be working from home for quite some time, please don't let location keep you from applying!
If you don't tick every box above, we'd still encourage you to apply. We're building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Heartbeat will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.