Lead Product Designer
Motional is looking for a Lead Product Designer to help us deliver a user experience that is intuitive, comfortable, user-centered, and that will develop trust for this state-of-the-art technology. You’ll be on a small, fast-paced agile team, collaborating with other Product Designers, Industrial Designers, User Researchers, Product Managers, and Engineers.
You’ll initially lead design in one or more product spaces, and will have the opportunity to work on various projects and product areas over time – including the design of our passenger user experience, autonomous vehicle fleet management, driving behavior, internal R&D tools, and next generation vehicles.
Please submit your resume, and an online or PDF portfolio with at least 3 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills and interests.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead design deliverables a remote vehicle control platform.
- Create UX deliverables including user flows, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
- Deliver polished, pixel-perfect UI Design artifacts
- Plan and lead large complex design initiatives
- Work with engineers to implement designs you create, ensuring quality
- Contribute to large design team initiatives such as team design guidelines
- Lead longer term strategic planning when needed, while still focusing on hands-on design deliverables
- Identify and problem solve when issues with progress arise, shifting timelines and approach to meet new demands as needed
- Lead with a team-focused mindset to problem solving - pull in others such as researchers and engineers into collaborative ideation and discussions
- Work with user researchers to drive understanding of key user needs, problems, desires, and personas
- Seek out and suggest potential design improvements that could be made separate from our roadmap
- Define how people interact with the future of autonomous vehicles!
What we're looking for:
- You are passionate about solving hard problems most haven’t faced before.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Graphic Design, UX Design, Interactive Media, or similar
- Ability to lead major design initiatives with little guidance
- 8+ years of hands on experience in an in-house design team or consulting/design agency
- Experience with planning large workstreams, meeting measurable goals and deadlines
- Strong experience in all stages of the design process, from early strategy and ideation, wireframes and prototypes, to the final implementation of UI design.
- Strong cross-platform design experience, particularly in SAAS-type products
- Experience working within a cross functional product team alongside product managers, ux researchers, engineers etc. in a fast-paced agile environment (i.e. software company, startup, etc.)
- Experience presenting and justifying design decisions to different levels within an organization, including c-level executives.
- Experience taking feedback from users, and iterating on design
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches and techniques to design, given our product space
- Experience with industry standard design tools, such as Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, and the Adobe Creative Suite
Bonus points (not required):
- Experience mentoring and managing a small team of designers
- Experience designing virtual reality products
- Physical>Digital experience (exhibits, LEDs, physical installations, TVs, AVs!)
- Experience with any sort of programming (i.e. JS/CSS)
- Experience working in the autonomous vehicle or automotive industry