Senior Digital Product Designer
Posted 2 years ago
Apply for this job
Everything we do is to empower our clients to move forward.
Great technology companies are built on incredible design, engineering and strategy, working in unison, operating at the very heart of an organisation and its audience. Enabling organisations to become great technology companies is our mission and our promise to our clients. We aim to leave them with the mindset, tools, skills and expertise they need to go beyond their own expectations, revolutionise their sectors, and for us to be proud of the change we create with them and their customers.
YLD is a software engineering and design consultancy; we create digital capabilities for our clients that last beyond our engagement.
• Our purpose is to help our clients develop the capabilities they need to outperform their competitors.
• Our success is a consequence of ensuring our clients are successful.
• Our company is built on extraordinary people; we aim to attract, inspire, develop and retain them.
We have offices in London, Lisbon, Porto. We support remote work and currently, all our teams are working fully remote.
We’re looking for an experienced Digital Product Designer with strong UX skills, as well as great Visual Design skills to join one of our existing projects on a Contractor basis.
The ideal person is someone who can bring their drive, passion and experience to our work and process, working as a part of our existing product development team, currently on a fully remote basis.
We expect that you have a successful background in Digital Product Design, and that you are comfortably familiar with a combination of specialisms, such as: UX Design, Product Strategy, Service Design, Creative or UI Engineering - a blend of the above skills is a big advantage, but your core skills and real strength really sits in Product and UX Design.
Experience working with, or good knowledge of implementing web accessibility would be a big bonus too.
(Coding ability would be a benefit, but is in no way essential - HTML, CSS, JS, Swift or any other language).
As an experienced Digital Product Designer we assume you have strong UX Design & Research skills and as someone who is also a good Interaction Designer, you have a deep understanding of Information Architecture.
Here we have listed some of the skills we would expect to see you excel in:
- You can take the long-term vision and help define a product design strategy of complex service and product design projects.
- Know how to visualise responsive websites and applications, and the thought processes required.
- Makes good structural design decisions for feature sets that are well defined or limited in scope.
- Deliver quality design work and inspire our clients towards these standards.
- Balances relatively complex user, business, and technical requirements to arrive at sound information-architecture designs.
- When it comes to visual outputs, you always base your decisions on solid visual design principles and are proficient using the right tool for the job.
- Happily and expertly build complex, accurate wireframes, following existing visual-design guidelines.
- Expertly collaborates with product teams to understand how all aspects of a product’s functionality would work within an established visual-design framework.
- Defining and documenting new interaction design patterns specific to a product or platform.
- Comfortable in the design software of your choice, but generally software agnostic with a keen ability to pick up a new one quickly, should it be required (e.g. Sketch, Figma, Framer, Marvel, Photoshop, Illustrator,...).
- Have a hands-on approach to User Research and Usability Testing.
- Employ user feedback techniques to influence design decisions.
It is also important that you:
- You must be equally comfortable working in a fully remote environment, as you would be in an office environment.
- Have the ability to work closely with the rest of the product team, including front and back end engineers to ensure implementation is of a high standard and quality.
- Have the experience to allow you to understand the business as a whole and identify proactively where your / our impact can be bigger.
- Challenge your team to think critically in solving problems. Facilitate (or lead) effective problem-solving in meetings and groups whenever needed.
- Are as happy and comfortable to take part in design critiques as you are in having your work critiquedHave a combination of experience across designing for mobile and web user-focused applications, as well as denser, information-rich interfaces
What we'd like to see from you:
- A portfolio (pdf, presentation or website) demonstrating critical thinking and creativity.
- You will be able to talk about and clearly explain and show your thought process, approach and strategy in connection to your finished work.
The right candidate
This role is suitable for someone who is confident in their career and who is looking to pass on skills to the same extent as they are looking to learn on the job.
We strongly support that you have some kind of official UX training as well as a substantial amount of real life professional experience.
An interest or experience from open science and open scientific research would be an extra welcomed bonus, though not expected, nor required.
We look forward to receiving your application!