At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and to do that, we need the best people to take the market.
As our first ever UX Writer, you’re a key part of helping us design towards this reality. With a product as complex as ours, you’re instrumental in helping align our product and design teams towards shared language, nomenclature, tone of voice, and writing guidelines. In this role, you’ll be in charge of creating these foundational content guidelines, drive research that will inform future iterations, and evangelize the voice of our customer in all things product. You’ll also mentor and guide our product and design teams to be better advocates for clear, concise, and intuitive product writing.
What you'll do:
- Create and iterate on foundational content guidelines that will bring cohesion to our entire product experience, including but not limited to Voice & Tone as well as nomenclature
- Drive the in-app content strategy across all Segment product areas and platforms to ensure a cohesive narrative and consistent nomenclature
- Create, maintain, and update UX copy guidelines and best practices for product-wide adoption
- Create and evangelize an operating model that allows you to scale your cross-functional collaboration workflows with product, design, and marketing partners
- Partner with research to will inform our content strategy and socialize/document findings for others to leverage
- Coach and mentor teammates, and democratize your expertise into Segment culture
What you'll bring:
- 4+ years experience in content strategy or UX writing for a software product
- A deep understanding of different research methods across qual and quant that will shape your work
- A strong design-thinking mindset and familiarity with the product development process, and an understanding of where and how to jump in when needed
- Proven experience leading cross-functional teams through end-to-end content strategy and execution
- A portfolio that demonstrates insightful output and business impact
- Strong storytelling and influence skills — as our first UX Writer, being able to do the job is only part of it. Being able to scale the job is the rest!
You'll be a great fit for this role if you:
- Are fiercely customer focused: you are the subject matter expert when it comes to how our customers speak and prefer to be spoken to. You hold them at the center of every decision made, and are a constant advocate for customer insights and customer empathy.
- Are a systems thinker: you consider all parts of the greater whole when strategizing and executing in efforts to create a unified product experience.
- Are collaborative: You consistently seek to bring cross-functional partners into your process to leverage their expertise, create alignment, and influence product development.
- Are hungry: Literally is great too, but figuratively, you crave impact, and take initiative to scope and create clarity by always proactively seeking opportunities to improve the product experience.
Bonus points if you have...
- Experience working in B2B SaaS or with enterprise customers
- Experience writing for technical use cases
- A deep desire to be a pioneer for your role at a company, and to build a practice from the ground up!
Okay, last thing. A little bit about our design team...
We are a small but mighty group of about ten. Some of us are super into watching a really good movie, and can definitely give you great recommendations there, while others are really into Netflix reality shows. And some of us have been pretty productive in this last year indoors by taking up illustration, or you know, raising our kids. And don’t worry — we’ve brought on quite a few people remotely now, so we’re getting the hang of it.
But mostly, we’re a group of people who genuinely enjoy each other’s company and the ability to work on some really cool, complex problems together. You’ll find us hanging out in the same Figma file during a design brainstorm, or trying not to get killed during a team game of Among Us. If a deeply kind, fun, collaborative team sounds like fun to you, well… we encourage you to apply! We’d love to have you.
This may feel like a lot, so we highly encourage you to apply even if you’re not 100% certain you meet all the criteria for this job. If you think you’d be a great fit here, there’s a good chance we will, too.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we're committed to hiring top talent regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We don't just accept differences - we celebrate you being who you are for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community.