Director of Design
As our Director of Design, you'll have the opportunity to advance Maple’s mission of building a connected healthcare experience. Through timely and accessible virtual visits with physicians and allied healthcare providers, we'll power the future of healthcare in a simple, connected, and human way.
About the Role
Reporting to the VP of Product, you will lead our UX and UI functions for our Web and Mobile applications. Alongside a growing team, you’ll develop and execute our Design strategy, roadmap and standards to ensure our platforms are engaging, accessible, easy to use, consistent and customer-centric.
- Develop and implement our Product Design vision and strategy.
- Understand and advocate for our customers to ensure their experiences on Maple are consistently engaging and delightful; micro-interactions and aha-moments are emphasized through practical design thinking.
- Ensure that experiences across all products and programs embody our core design principles of engagement, consistency, clarity, efficiency and delight.
- Implement and maintain an efficient design discovery process (e.g., capturing user problems, leading ideation sessions, user testing validation).
- Collaborate with key stakeholders such as Marketing to build a design-centric culture and scale the Design team.
- Coach a team of talented designers, promote best-practices while encouraging thinking outside-of-the-box and refining design processes and frameworks.
- Work closely with Product and Engineering to ensure projects are well-defined, highly impactful and successfully executed.
- Effectively measure the impact of the Design team and its work against KPIs.
- 10+ years of experience designing a world-class digital product(s) on both mobile and web platforms for a diverse user community
- Strong background in building and running a User Experience Research practice
- Strong analytical background as it relates to UX/UI and measuring performance
- Entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment with a willingness to contribute on both strategic and operational/hands-on levels
- Experience building, coaching and leading high-performing design teams
- True focus on and empathy for users (e.g. your decisions are based on research, including interviews, usability testing, and quantitative data)
- With a continuous desire for learning, you keep yourself up to date on the latest UX/UI thinking and continuously test new/better ways to design experiences for users
- Experience with high-growth products that have the potential to reach millions of users is considered an asset
In addition to the skills described above, you are:
- A strong people leader and coach — you’ve supported direct reports to grow through regular one-on-ones, sharing industry best practices and providing clear, constructive feedback. You thrive when you’re helping others reach their full potential and professional goals.
- Mission-driven — we are a small and passionate team challenging the status quo of the healthcare industry. You need to be passionate about playing an integral part in helping us accomplish our mission and vision.
- Execution-oriented — you have a strong ability and desire to execute to the highest standard. You care deeply about the quality of your work and don’t cut corners.
- Highly organized and planful — you can manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail and prioritization skills.
- A strong communicator — you speak plainly and truthfully. You communicate complex ideas in a clear and easy-to-understand way.
- Highly collaborative — you have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team.
Other Role Information
- Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
- Reporting Manager: VP Product
- Location: Toronto, ON
- Start Date: Flexible
- Salary: $130,000-145,000
- Performance Bonus: eligible for a performance-based bonus in June and December. Note that you will be eligible to participate in the first compensation review cycle that takes place after you’ve been in the role for six months.
- Equity compensation: Available subject to board approval, to be discussed.
- Paid Vacation:4 weeks
Working at Maple
We want you to love working at Maple. We want you to feel challenged and supported, cared for, and driven. Just as we’re driven to grow, to improve, to iterate our products and services, we want you to take the same mindset as you work towards achieving your personal best. We can all learn, we can all develop, and we can all power the future of healthcare. But we can only do it together. At Maple, we are a team first and foremost. Your success is our success.
In order to support your wellbeing, we offer an evolving set of benefits and perks, including:
- Health benefits: Comprehensive health and dental benefits and insurance and unlimited daytime online consultations with a General Practitioner
- Maternity & parental leave benefits: Up to $8,000 supplemental unemployment benefit
- Paid personal days: 10 personal days plus additional paid and unpaid time off for significant life events
- Flexible hours: For example, work from home Fridays when in office
- Learning & development: up to $1,000 professional development budget per fiscal year, continuous feedback culture, semi-annual performance reviews depending on start date
- Periodic use of the company parking spot when in office
- Healthy snacks or remote alternative
- Quarterly team socials
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that any offer of contract or employment may be subject to verification of employment and education background checks, including a criminal record check.