Apply for this job
About the role
If you are seeking an opportunity to build an A+ product from the ground up within an emphatically mission-driven company, then this is the role for you. In prior roles, you’ve worked tirelessly to understand your customers’ needs and solve them through beautifully designed experiences that get the job done. You’ve addressed many needs, you’ve worked across industries -- but at the core, you’d agree that it can be summed up by your singular, unwavering commitment to serve your customers well.
In your next chapter at Mos, we are counting on you to harness your excellent product intuition, seasoned UX & design chops, and infectious positive energy to bring a game-changing financial experience to life for our students. This is an amazing opportunity for someone who excels in a fast-paced, experiment-driven environment, who doesn’t shy away from long hours of hard work. The ideal candidate has extensive experience designing B2C mobile-first products and is inspired by the prospect of designing a financial ecosystem that will empower students from all walks of life to turn up at college -- and thrive.
- Understand the diverse needs of our brilliant student community to design and ship experiences that deeply resonate with them. Whether you’re running your own lightweight research and analysis, interviewing our students, or user testing your work, you’ll strive to understand the what, why and how of the problems you’re solving to ensure we don’t just ship the thing right, but we ship the right thing. ****And you know the answer is always our students.
- Collaborate closely with our CEO and executive team to bring beautiful product experiences to life. You love to brainstorm and ask questions, you enjoy showing early work and getting feedback.
- Relentlessly raise the design bar, ensuring our students are delighted by effortless and beautiful experiences every time they engage with Mos. In doing so, you will ensure we cement a culture of user-centered design deep within our organizational DNA.
- Take charge of the entire design process from ideation through to detailed UX flows and screens. You are an owner, you love and crave responsibility. We’ll need you to trust your instincts and proactively run the ball down the field.
What we're looking for
- 5+ years of experience directly designing wonderful consumer products that customers love and trust. Mobile experience is a must, community-oriented products a plus.
- You exude empathy, especially for students. Some may even mistake you for a Gen-Z mind-reader.
- You have outstanding product intuition and UX/UI ability. Your thinking is informed by a strong understanding of human behavior. You have a point of view on what good interaction design is all about.
- You have structured and conducted user research engagements, managed prototyping-feedback processes, and traversed the development journey from prototype to functional build to in-market product.
- You are highly adept in interaction design and tooling (e.g. conveying concepts through wireframes, flows, and mockups; visual/interaction design tools such as Figma, prototyping via animations with AfterEffects, click-throughs with Keynote, interactive prototypes with Flinto or Principle, etc.).
- You are passionate about turning complex problems into simple and engaging experiences. Prior experience working in complex and regulated industries is a plus (e.g. fintech, edtech, healthtech).
- Friends and colleagues would describe you as a hyper-logical and intellectually curious thinker, known for your strong attention to detail.
- You prefer a fast-paced, iterative process that includes embracing and quickly acting on feedback.
- You crave personal hyper-growth and aspire to become the best at what you do. You have the humility and courage to grow as we grow (prior experience managing other designers a plus).
People who succeed at Mos...
- Take it personally: Maybe you experienced the crushing weight of student debt yourself or are on a personal mission to expand access to opportunity. Whatever the reason, we want to know why solving this problem matters to you.
- Are driven by purpose: Mos exists to tear down all financial barriers to opportunity. If that motivates you, fulfills you, and sparks your creativity, we want you here.
- Thrive without pampering: We skipped the fancy snacks and massage rooms. Our investment is in our students, our business, and you.
- Bring your whole self to work: We want to know your partner, your dog, what you do in your free time. We joke, we play, we hug (well, we used to!), and sometimes, we cry. If you're giving us your best waking hours of the day, we want you to feel at home.
- Are seeking a BIG challenge: We won't lie – this job will make you sweat. You need stamina and patience to build something truly life-changing for students. Expect complex problems and scrappy DIY solutions. The upside: You'll learn in one year what you might never learn elsewhere.
Mos was founded on one belief: everyone should have equal access to opportunity. We started with higher education because it's the first and most formidable barrier that young people face in pursuit of their dreams.
After a year of hard work and some very long nights, Mos has become the only place where students could access all types of financial aid. In the process of helping 100,000+ students pay for college, we uncovered more struggles that Mos couldn't yet solve.
So today, we're expanding our impact on students' financial lives by becoming the only student-centric bank–the one comprehensive solution for student financial health. This next iteration of Mos will not only help today's students pay for college, but also help tomorrow's leaders build a solid financial future.
Everyone at Mos shares a deep commitment to this mission. We care deeply and dedicate ourselves completely to serving students. We put our knowledge and skills towards an exponential impact on the lives of those who need it the most.
We are backed on our mission by world-class investors like Sequoia, Lux Capital, Zoom founder Eric Yuan, Jay-Z, and Stephen Curry.
We are building this company for the right reasons and we are looking for people to join us to tear down all financial barriers to opportunity. Come join us!