500px is the leading online network for photographers. Our mission is to connect the world’s photographers and provide them with opportunities to discover inspiration, get exposure and rewarded for their work, and help them learn and grow their skills. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find and share the world’s most inspiring photography.
Please note that we are all currently working remotely, and plan to continue doing so until staff feel safe and comfortable returning to the office.
500px, the world’s premier photography community, is looking for an exceptionally talented Product Designer. We need someone who is well versed in UX and UI design and wields this superpower to create amazing digital experiences. We need someone who can utilize design to not only meet the needs of our users but the needs of the business. This person should be comfortable moving quickly, in this fast-paced environment, and performs well in a multidisciplinary setting.
What you'll be doing:
- Own the end-to-end process from discover to delivery, spot problems in your domain and make sure they get attention
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams to define the product
- Conceptualize product through sketches, flowcharts, wireframes, and prototyping to surface the best solutions that solve both business and user problems and deliver measurable outcomes
- Get feedback through user interviews and testing and summarize insights for stakeholders, and use them to make informed design decisions
- Prioritize and organize your work against team goals in conjunction with your manager, and minimize time spent on creating unnecessary deliverables
- Continuously improve a product based on user feedback and analytics to get it to near perfection
- Provide critiques and peer review of other designers’ work, while embracing feedback on your own work
- Contribute and maintain the design system
- Contribute to team productivity by sharing knowledge and documentation
What the ideal candidate will have:
- 2+ years of experience with end-to-end digital product design
- A bachelor's degree in interaction design, HCI, digital media, or related discipline
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your previous work in design thinking, process, UX/UI and visual design skills
- Been part of a team that has shipped software that solves real user’s problems and achieves business outcomes
- Experience working with an agile design process and are capable of shaping your own
- Ability to diverge and converge on problems and iterate to surface the best solutions
- Ability to look at the user experience holistically and detailed-oriented
- Able to work within constraints and find creative ways to solve problems
- Ability to clearly articulate design decisions, drawing on stakeholder insights and user interviews
- Experience with modern design tools (Figma) and the willingness to adopt new tools as needed
- Experience designing mobile interfaces on the web, iOS and Android
- Practice design as a team sport and leave your ego at the door
- Bring a passion to learn and grow every day, and an interest in sharing your learnings with your peers
Bonus points for:
- Having worked on an online social platform with a large user base
- Being a member of the 500px community
- Experience with the photography industry
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible work hours
- Great health and dental benefits starting on day one
- Professional development opportunities
- Amazing coworkers from around the world (repping 20 countries and 19 languages)
- Generous time off policies for vacations, sick days, birthdays, religious observances, civil involvement, new babies or pets, emergencies, or even if you just need to recharge
- Life-friendly Zoom calls – we love to see your pets and hear your kids’ jokes!
- Phone screen: < 30 min conversation with a hiring manager
- Case study: we'll ask you to complete a challenge, and then share it with us to review
- Team interviews: 2-3 hours on Zoom where you'll e-meet multiple members of our team
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.
500px welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.