Head of UX Design
We are looking for a talented Head of UX Design to join our Product team. You will be a leading our UX team with passion, confidence and energy, and will continue to bring design to the forefront of Secret Escapes.
About Secret Escapes
Secret Escapes is the UK’s biggest members-only website that runs best-in-market flash sales of four and five star hotels and holidays worldwide. We offer our members exclusive rates of up to 60% off.
We're looking for grafters and self-starters to join the gang, who can keep up with the pace and want to make a difference. We still work in relatively small teams, so there's no room for coasting along. We're friendly, happy, and most importantly, we work hard. We're not afraid to get our hands dirty and we're all madly passionate about our brand.
Things you’ll be working on
- Delivering an effective product design capability in collaboration with the Product Director and the CTO, applying the lean principles and agile methodologies appropriate to the task
- Working with product leadership to interpret and realise company and product strategy within the product teams
- Recruiting, developing and motivating a team of product designers embedded within the cross functional product teams
- Ensuring visual design consistency across the website and mobile apps and driving the adoption of our in house design language system across group companies
- Turning product roadmaps into people plans to ensure teams have enough design capacity and that sufficient discovery work-ahead has been scheduled
- Collaborating with other product, engineering and platform heads to elaborate and drive the technology strategy
How the magic happens
We are a community of 80+ designers, engineers and product managers organised across 12 squads in 7 countries. Working together, and in collaboration with the rest of the business, we enable our company mission to inspire the world to escape. The design function lines into Product, which itself is part of the Customer Org and includes Marketing and Partnerships. Both Designers and Product Managers are embedded in cross functional teams alongside the engineers and other technical roles, who report to the CTO.
And you are…
- A seasoned leader of a product design function in an eCommerce business, including line management responsibilities
- An expert practitioner of interaction design, along with strong information architecture and visual design skills and well acquainted with user research activities
- Have thorough understanding of front end technologies
- Have an intimate knowledge of design systems and their role within the product development
- Are well practised facilitation and coaching skills that have enabled individuals and teams to best frame problems and explore solutions
- Have exposure to the travel sector is not required, but a bonus
Things you should know
Secret Escapes is an e-commerce marketplace: while we may not sell the software we build, our technology delivers the customer experience for our members and supply partners. Seven of our 12 squads align to these opportunity areas; the remainder support the platform and our business users.
As well as being a brand, Secret Escapes is also a well diversified travel and goods business group, comprising the #1 ‘flash’ travel brands in Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Ireland. As we seek to leverage the tech assets across the Group we are increasingly exploring ways to consolidate our tech and business processes.
We are looking for a Product Design leader to head up the design team and support the product director in fostering an agile product design and software development culture. Design and Product methodology is an iterative process at Secret Escapes. We take industry best practice and apply it in a practical way that is relevant to the problems we are solving. We are open minded but results oriented, challenging ourselves to be able to demonstrate the customer or business value stemming from our decisions.
We are an equal opportunity employer:
Diversity and inclusion are important to us at Secret Escapes and we encourage a culture where everyone can be themselves at work. We value and actively seek out a richly diverse range of talent and our policies ensure that every job application and employee is treated fairly, with equal opportunity to succeed. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by law.