Founded in 2015, Maple is a fast-growing health tech company with a vision to power the future of healthcare by building a connected and superior experience for patients, doctors, and other types of health providers.
We offer virtual care services across multiple distribution channels, including Direct-to-Consumer ("D2C"), Employers and Private Insurers ("B2B"), Government Funded Entities ("B2G"), and through clinical software licensing ("Licensing"). With more than 2 million Canadians with access to our services and a growing network of 1,600+ healthcare providers, Maple is one of Canada’s fastest-growing virtual care companies.
We have established an entrepreneurial culture centered around our mission to "Build a connected healthcare experience." We continue to build our team with employees who are passionate about improving access to healthcare for everyone, everywhere. We attribute this success to our employees, who have helped us achieve numerous noteworthy awards including: Globe and Mail's #13 Top Growing Companies in Canada in 2020, Deloitte's Fast 50 Companies to Watch, LinkedIn's Top 10 Startups in Canada, and Canada's Top Growing Companies 2020 (Report on Business).
About the Role
The Maple Product Team is looking for a Product Designer to own product design for both our patient and practitioner platforms across our web, iOS, and Android apps. As one of the early designers on the team, you'll be in a position to influence the processes, toolset, and best practices we will use to scale our design team moving forward. You'll be working closely with the Director of Product Design as well as product management and development teams throughout the product development process, from idea through release. We are looking for someone who can both collaborate closely with the team when planning solutions while working independently when executing on them.
- Sketch high-level solutions with product managers, developers, and stakeholders.
- Participate in strategic discovery research to help understand our users’ needs and usability testing and other validation research to confirm we are building highly usable products.
- Help to define user stories for all design work with product managers. Design and prototype thoughtful end-to-end experiences across all of our products.
- Conduct design reviews throughout the design process with fellow designers and stakeholders.
- Document all design requirements for developers on each project.
- Contribute to QA Testing of all features with UX/UI elements.
- Support CS, Marketing, and Business Development with the assets needed to bring products to market.
- Contribute to the development of our product style guide and design system.
- Keep accessibility at the forefront of all design work and help the larger team to consistently produce products that are accessible by the largest number of users possible.
- You have 1-3 years of experience designing digital products for consumers or businesses
- You are able to use customer research and product data to inform your design decisions
- You're experienced with modern design and collaboration tools like Sketch, Figma, Zeplin, and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere)
- You prefer a collaborative approach to designing solutions
- You have a fundamental understanding of accessibility and the WCAG 2.0 guidelines
In addition to the skills described above, you are:
- Mission-driven — we are a small and passionate team challenging the status quo of the healthcare industry. You need to be passionate about playing an integral part in helping us accomplish our mission and vision.
- Execution-oriented — you have a strong ability and desire to execute to the highest standard. You care deeply about the quality of your work and don’t cut corners.
- Highly organized and planful — you have the ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail and prioritization skills.
- A strong communicator — you speak plainly and truthfully. You communicate complex ideas in a clear and easy-to-understand way.
- Highly collaborative — you have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
Other Role Information
- Job Type: Fulltime
- Reporting Manager: Director, Product Design
- Location: Toronto
- Start Date: Flexible
- Salary: $90,000 - $105,000
- Performance Bonus: Eligible for an annual performance-based bonus.
- Equity compensation: Available subject to board approval, to be discussed.
- Paid Vacation: 3 weeks
Working at Maple
We want you to love working at Maple. We want you to feel challenged and supported, cared for, and driven. Just as we’re driven to grow, to improve, to iterate our products and services, we want you to take the same mindset as you work towards achieving your personal best. We can all learn, we can all develop, and we can all power the future of healthcare. But we can only do it together. At Maple, we are a team first and foremost. Your success is our success.
In order to support your wellbeing, we offer an evolving set of benefits and perks, including:
- Health benefits: Comprehensive health and dental benefits and insurance and unlimited online consultations with a General Practitioner
- Maternity & parental leave benefits: Up to $8,000 supplemental unemployment benefit
- Paid personal days: 10 personal days plus additional paid and unpaid time off for significant life events
- Flexible hours: For example, work from home Fridays when in office
- Learning & development: up to $1,000 professional development budget per fiscal year, continuous feedback culture, annual performance reviews depending on start date
- Periodic use of the company parking spot when in office
- Healthy snacks or remote alternative
- Quarterly team socials
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that any offer of employment may be subject to verification of employment and education background checks, including a criminal record check.