Our Mission: Legible will empower and connect authors and readers through open access to a global reading and publishing platform. Legible is making books beautiful and accessible.
Our Community Values: Accessibility, Sustainability, Beauty, and Integrity
At Legible, we make books easy to access from anywhere on the globe, with nothing but a browser and an internet or cell connection - no special devices necessary! No paper, no waste. Just beautifully written words on exquisitely designed digital pages.
Books have always been, as Stephen King put it, “a uniquely portable magic,” and we aim to make them even more portable - to connect more authors and readers around the world than ever before. And to bring new and diverse voices to the readers who most need to hear them.
About the role
We are looking for more creative minds to join our fantastic design team here at Legible!
As our UX Researcher, you will be responsible for inspiring change by defining and driving the future of our products. You will reveal what our users need from our products by conducting research, working with cross-functional teams, and performing usability studies.
These responsibilities also include delivering presentations, evaluating qualitative and quantitative data, and helping the Design team better understand what would make a user’s experience more intuitive, accessible, and seamless. With the help of your team and manager, effectively prioritize your research efforts across stage groups. Align with Product teams while considering impact, the goals of your stage groups, the broader product vision, and company objectives.
What makes this job different
At Legible we are striving to make the internet a more inclusive place and we feel that this role will be pivotal to that, seeing as our first priority is accessibility. We are looking for someone to speak up and advocate for those who are often left to sit on the sidelines. To get inspired, please take a look at our website, and if you think it is as beautiful as we do then we want your talents!
What you’ll be doing
- Personally initiate and conduct research within or across our target audience(s) to build stronger foundational knowledge of your coverage areas. Research should consist of a mix of solution validation and problem validation projects.
- Conduct and evaluate quantitative and qualitative research, as well as market and ethnographic research.
- Know your stage group users: develop a deep empathic understanding of your users, learn about their needs, and identify gaps.
- Put users at the center of a design and development to make it simple, accessible, easy to use, and beautiful
- Plan and implement user research strategies and methodologies.
- Respond to solution validation user research inquiries that are escalated by Product Design.
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written and oral presentations.
- Work closely with product and development teams to make sure they are making data-informed decisions by performing usability studies with consumers.
- Actively contribute to the UX Research team culture, processes, and documentation.
- Use a diverse set of UX tools such as Sketch, Figma, Adobe XD and recommend other research tools.
Some key things about you
- You want to make the internet a better place - we are all about inclusive design and accessibility
- Beauty inspires you everywhere you go and you’re able to expand our vision of it
- The idea of Legible excites you—we are doing interesting and exciting things!
- You enjoy working in a fun and easy going environment
- You have an interest in social impact and care for the product being created
- You love to experiment and never stop learning
- You love to keep up with current events and design trends and pull them into your work
- You are an empathetic, organized, critical thinker whose day-to-day is about the first stage of the design thinking process: empathize.
- Communicate efficiently and carefully both verbally and in written form
- Value teamwork: you embrace collaboration with cross-functional and distributed teams
- The ability to take and give feedback with grace
- It’s great if you have a self-starter attitude: you’re inquisitive and eager by nature
- You enjoy a fast paced work environments
- The idea of a role growing with you sounds exciting—there are so many opportunities that will open up in-house
Key experience and skills
- 3 to 5 years of UX research experience
- Undergraduate or graduate studies in human-computer interaction, design, psychology, anthropology, sociology (or equivalent and demonstrable work experience)
- Ability to quickly and effectively share research results
- Ability to perform all research-related tasks including research, planning, evaluating, and iteration
- Ability to formulate specific, answerable, and practical questions
- Ability to collaborate effectively with stakeholders and act as a strategic partner in product decisions
- Experience with remote testing tools
- A strong desire for creative problem-solving with a positive attitude
- Excellent time-management skills
About the team
The design team of Legible is currently a powerful trio reporting to the Head of Product but also works extremely closely with the Development, Marketing, and Publishing teams. So you’ll get a tonne of exposure to all the departments in the company and be a key player in making the Legible dream come true.
Legible is a startup with a heart—a company that values equity and diversity at its very core. It is somewhere you can come to grow and experience different areas of the business. We are a small but mighty team, who are just turning the page on a new and exciting chapter of growth.
- A flexible working schedule
- Great paid time off package, including a paid winter break!
- Positions you can grow and make your own
- A multitude of avenues for career growth and change
- An open-door policy, you can bring this up with confidence
- An inclusive working environment - anyone and everyone is welcome at Legible
- Community Values - We work together as a team to better our community. We are invested in making a difference
“Systemic racism is a machine that runs whether we pull the levers or not, and by just letting it be, we are responsible for what it produces. We have to actually dismantle the machine if we want to make change.” —Ijeoma Oluo, So You Want to Talk About Race
At Legible, we strive for diversity and inclusion to create a genuinely healthy and equitable workplace for everyone. We are committed to the ongoing process of building a culture of respect at every level, ensuring that everyone feels safe, supported, and valued.
Let's be real: employee handbooks always talk a lot about diversity and inclusion, but in the actual day-to-day, employees indulge in microaggressions toward BIPOC colleagues, claim that “sexism goes both ways,” and so on. At Legible, we know that oppression is systemic and structural. Cis privilege, non-disabled privilege, white privilege, male privilege—these are real and have consequences for people. We're aware that being marginalized at work causes real distress, especially when accountability doesn't seem to exist.
How is Legible going to dismantle the machine and what makes us different? It starts here, everyone has an opportunity to join Legible and make a difference - our hiring process is fair and equitable. As a company, we will be devoted to providing regular training and info sessions to our employees to ensure that we are aware of our privileges and will work to address microaggressions on a daily basis. One look at Legible.com will show how committed we are to diversity and inclusivity. We are a company that will beautifully entwine, celebrates, and support diverse cultures and varying beliefs.
A few years ago, an interviewer asked Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of the Broadway smash-hit Hamilton, why his cast was so diverse. Miranda replied, "That's just what happens when you go looking for the very best people!" At Legible, we couldn't agree more!
Legible recognizes the right for human beings to self-identify. You are valued, safe, and supported.
To be considered for this position, you must be eligible to work in Canada and pass a criminal record check.
Compensation for this role is $70,000 - $80,000 per year - salary is dependent on experience.
The target start date for this role is in Mid August 2021