Staff UX Researcher
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce and parcel shipping volumes are exploding but so are customer expectations about shipping speed and cost. Managing shipping and logistics operations to meet increasingly exacting demands is an extremely hard endeavor, especially for SMBs who can be left in the dust by larger and far more sophisticated competitors. But this does not have to be so.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses with access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise. We lower the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world, and move shipping from a pain point to a competitive advantage.
Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, from fast-growing brands to mom-and-pop shops are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard, and seamlessly run every aspect of their shipping operations, from checkout shipping options to returns.
Join us to build the foundations of something hard yet meaningful, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, and funded by top-tier investors likeD1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, we are a fast-growing and proudly distributed Unicorn with hubs in San Francisco and Austin. We are also featured in Wealthfront’s Career Launching List and Forbes’ Cloud 100 list of fast growing startups.
We work in a pretty complex area, and it’s easy to forget just how bewildering shipping can be for our users. As a user researcher, you’ll help your team of designers, product managers, and engineers understand what shippers need when using our product and the bigger picture of selling and shipping online. You’ll work with stakeholders across functions and levels and have impact at all stages of product development, including the company strategy. You may use any number of techniques and methodologies, like field studies, interviews, participatory workshops, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, experiments, and quantitative analysis, just to name a few.
- Conduct independent research on multiple aspects of products and experiences.
- Collect and analyze user behavior through all those methods mentioned above
- Work with designers, product managers, engineers and other researchers to identify gaps in our understanding of user needs and craft research to answer these questions
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports and in-person presentations, with visibility and impact across the company
- 5-10 years experience using a wide variety of user research methodologies
- Exceptional communication skills for effective research reporting and presentations
- Relevant bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience)
- Our current focus is primarily on qualitative research, but will need to collaborate with analysts and future quant researchers.