Head of Product Design
About this Role
The Head of Product Design for GoFood is responsible for guiding the customer experience strategy for Gojek’s food delivery ecosystem. GoFood is South East Asia’s fastest-growing food delivery app. The mission of GoFood is providing the best possible selection of food, at the most affordable prices. We connect millions of consumers to more than half a million culinary merchant partners in Southeast Asia. GoFood has the largest merchants in our ecosystem compared to most food delivery company in the world (ex china) i.e., more than 400,000 merchants - its powered mostly by small and medium businesses (which is a very different business model than typical food delivery company) and what makes our products very unique.
This position takes a customer lens approach to build products our user’s love, teams that other designers aspire to work in and processes that make it all efficient and scalable.
Primary responsibilities include 1) Own the design strategy for the entire food delivery ecosystem spanning across multiple products and customers from merchants to drivers to end users. 2) connecting UX and marketing team to ensure seamless brand integration both online and offline 3) defining CX metrics and strategies for measuring sentiment, 4) spearheading heading processes and frameworks to enhance the quality of the output across PDG. 5) Mentor and manage a team of both senior and junior designers. The ideal candidate will have experience working across research, design, marketing, and product teams. This role reports directly into the Global Head of Design.
You will be instrumental in working with multiple stakeholders to define the vision for food delivery. In some cases, you will continue to manage your own product. In other cases, you may initially only provide career/coaching for the other managers in the cluster with limited involvement in the product.
This leadership position will be involved in all phases of the engagement and design process. They will coordinate and synthesize the data, insights, vision and design ideas across multiple streams to design new approaches for where food delivery can go. This work requires a true design leader and manager with the ability and interest to work across teams and roles to drive coordination and stakeholder engagement. You will work closely with other team leaders and stakeholders from within design, business, PMs, Engineers, research, IxD, creative labs, marketing, writing, illustration, motion and branding teams as well as DS, UXE.
What You Will Do
- Help formulate the product vision for GoFood
- Hire, coach, and mentor excellent product designers. Manage the career development for the reporting managers
- Inspire your team to push the boundaries towards innovation
- Help designers collaborate with their Product, Engineering, Research, Data and Business counterparts
- Be a strong partner to your Product, Engineering, Research, Data and Business peers
- Align team priorities and deliverables to the company’s overall strategic goals
- Collaborate closely with your Design peers at Gojek to ensure we create a consistent and cohesive overall product
- Ensure your team leverages and contributes to the Gojek Design System
- Help evolve GoFood design to align with the Gojek brand in collaboration with the Brand Team
- Help elevate the Gojek Design community, culture, and processes
- Spearhead the translation of company and team objectives into actionable design initiatives and measurable OKRs with the help of other design leads and managers
- Provide guidance to managers and designers on topics related to process, principles and team dynamics
- Advocate for developing E2E experiences
- Align with research on metrics for measuring experiences and brand values
- Promote measurement at the emotional level (safety, trust, understanding) and evaluation of design solutions using these metrics
- Communicate business priorities and key design decisions back up to the Global Head of Design
What You Will Need
- Track record of guiding teams and delivering innovative new solutions that reframe and reshape the user experience for end-to-end consumer mobile user journeys
- As an excellent negotiator and communicator, you are able to build and maintain strong relationships with all relevant stakeholders. Able to convert complex projects into pieces that can be worked on by more junior designers. You are expert at leading strategic conversations and providing formal and informal mentorship, especially related to their respective streams that improves the effectiveness of the organisation
- Experience leading teams in international markets
- Understanding of visual design and brand identity as it relates to localized product experiences and markets.
- Ability to connect research, design, marketing, writing and branding teams and build consensus with key stakeholders on vision and strategy
- Expertise and case studies connecting Brand Promise & Service Delivered. You are a leader who spearheads creation of a seamless connection between brand marketing (functionality/set expectations) and product experiences/service delivered across a wide set of touch points
- Understanding of design sprint methodologies and ability to lead groups working to rapidly and iteratively refine and test emerging product ideas and proposed solutions
- Analytical and research background to derive insights. Able to quantify in the areas related to sentiment level of creative materials from marketing to app store to in-product experiences
- Ability to define, prioritize and shape end-to-end product experiences in collaboration with research and local in-country teams
- Decent understanding of brand narratives, personalities and visual identity
About the Team
The Gojek Design Team is made up of 150+ designers spread across 2 countries and ~12 product teams and ~10 central teams (IxD, motion, illustration, writing, etc). We believe there is too much friction in our daily lives and everyone deserves an opportunity to make a living. And technology can help solve both of these.
We have people from a wide range of backgrounds and skills. Among us we have designers who are experts in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Product Design, UX Writing, Illustration, Service Design, UX Research, and Motion Design. Together we envision, create and support products and services that meaningfully improve the lives of our customers.
We’ve come a long way since 2015, when we were a small central team of 15 designers working away intensely to build and support products that were scaling at an unprecedented rate. Our challenges were not just designing the products and not being the bottleneck, but also to educate everyone around us on what design is, and why it makes sense to always start with the users, and work backwards.
As an important part of this team, we’re looking for a very experienced design leader who will have the opportunity to define the future of how people discover new restaurants, order food and experience the joy that comes with having great food delivered to them.
Gojek is a Super App. It’s one app for ordering food, commuting, digital payments, shopping, hyper-local delivery, and dozen other products. It is Indonesia’s first and only decacorn. It's also the only Southeast Asian startup to be part of Fortune's list of 'Companies That Changed The World.'
Our Mission: To create and scale positive socio-economic impact for our customers, driver-partners, business and MSMEs.
As of 2018, Gojek processed more than $9 billion annualised gross transaction value across all markets where it operates - in Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia. We have the largest food delivery product in Asia, (outside of China), and the largest payments wallet in Southeast Asia.
Our investors include Google, Facebook, PayPal, Sequoia Capital, Tencent Holdings among others.
Gojek is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, education status, or any other legally protected status.