Senior UI/UX Designer
Meltano is an open source DataOps platform that brings together best-in-class open source tools and technologies for the data lifecycle, including the Singer standard for data integration and its library of over 200 connectors, dbt for transformation, Airflow for orchestration, and soon Superset for visualization. It simplifies configuration, deployment, and monitoring, and lets data teams benefit from DevOps best practices such as version control, code review, and CI/CD.
Built on Open Source, Meltano works alongside its community of over 1400 data professionals at startups, global enterprises, and consultancies to build the next generation of data infrastructure and support a large ecosystem of open source connectors. There are thousands of active Meltano projects in use today by organizations such as Netlify and GitLab.
We’re seeking our first Designer / UX Expert to help make Meltano look beautiful and an absolute joy to use. Your job will be to dramatically improve how our users experience and interact with our products, whether it’s on the command line, in the UI, on MeltanoHub, or via the SDK. There is a huge opportunity here to shape the future direction of design at Meltano and to build the future of open source DataOps tooling.
- 4+ years of related experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience designing complex solutions for complete digital environments and data-oriented solutions.
- An impressive portfolio showcasing a clear understanding of simplicity, typography, interactions and digital design.
- An understanding and appreciation of the practice of design iteration by always experimenting, evaluating and learning.
- Have an understanding of strengths and weaknesses of different research methods, including when and how to apply them as well as examples of utilization of these different methods.
- Experience with the whole product lifecycle — from early stage to launch and beyond.
- Ability to perform all research-related tasks including research, planning, evaluating, and iteration.
- Passionate, positive and problem-solving attitude.
- Effective interpersonal skills in both business and technical situations
- Experience in a startup or small environment preferred
- Excellent at Problem-solving and process improvement
- Proven ability to prioritize competing tasks
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, unstructured environment
- Comfortable working closely cross functionally and with a wide range of community members
- Team player - nothing is below you, and you will do whatever helps the team
- Excellent communicator with exceptional written, verbal & interpersonal skills
- Organized, flexible, problem solver, positive, resourceful, emotionally intelligent, trustworthy
- Create a Meltano Design System
- Reimagine the Meltano UI for our DataOps vision
- Reimagine the MeltanoHub and how it can best serve the needs of the Singer and Meltano Communities
- Take a user-centered design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs.
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core, as well as new functions and features.
- Find gaps in the UX of our CLI and create flows, prototypes, sketches, and high-fidelity visuals for improvements.
- Collaborate on project briefs and scoping
- Improve existing design solutions while also continuing to evolve our brand language
- Periodically work with Marketing on design needs
- Talk with users about their experience with Meltano and the wider Singer ecosystem and act as a sensing mechanism for product improvement priorities
- Experience designing tools for data professionals
- Experience designing for the command line
- You have a passion for open source tools or experience with data tools
- We'll review your application and get back to you soon.
- If selected, we'll set up a 20 minute phone screen with our Head of Product to introduce ourselves and give you a chance to ask questions about the company and the role.
- Next you'll have a 60 minute call with our Director of Marketing to help us get to know you better.
- A 10 question questionnaire will be sent to you ahead of this call. Complete and return this no later than 24 hours before your interview.
- You'll meet with the Head of Product for 60 minutes to discuss design and review your portfolio.
- You'll then be given a small design challenge to do asynchronously. We'll review it and provide feedback.
- Finally, you'll meet with our CEO for 30 minutes to discuss final details.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Benefits and Perks
- Unlimited PTO (and regular reminders to take it!)
- Professional Development Support and Budget
- Remote Working
- Reimbursable coworking fees and external office space
- Budget for Office equipment and workspace supplies
- Team Offsites
- Access to world class founders, investors and mentors
- Work transparently