Founded in 2011, Hornet is the world’s queer social network with over 30 million diverse users, providing a safe and global home for the LGBTQ+ community. Hornet has disrupted dozens of markets to become the number 1 queer app and is rapidly expanding its sizable user base across Europe and the United States.
We are driven to create and expand a safe place for the community to enjoy the entire spectrum of queer life and friendships - casual meetups and lifelong relationships, political advocacy and personal expression, mental support and sports buddies, intellectual chat, and silly memes. Every day, we strive to reimagine what a queer app can be and how it can better serve our community. Our diverse team spans the world, bringing together a wide range of perspectives and incredible talent.
Do you want to join Hornet? We are looking for a Product Designer to join our core team, starting immediately. We prefer you already have a familiarity with Hornet and the market in general and are looking for the chance to make meaningful changes that push the space forward.
You will be responsible for 5 key areas:
- Holistic Experience Design
- You will work on answering the following questions: How will we delight? How can we best serve the needs of the queer community? How can we make our onboarding experience more effective? What will motivate users to have a higher level of commitment to the product?
- You will take designs from concept through to production
- We predominantly work with Figma and Sketch to create prototypes at different levels of fidelity for illustration and validation of concepts before using engineering resources
- You will get in a cadence to validate/refine ideas, collect new insights, and assess the value of ideas or prototypes before shipping
- You will work with the Product, Growth, and Engineering teams to run AB tests and measure their performance
- You will work on the visual design (composition, typography, iconography, incorporating brand strategy, create and maintain a style, etc.)
- You will focus on underlying conceptual models, task flows, control layouts, etc.
- You will create simple experiences that support complex problems
- You will work closely with our data engineer and growth team to understand user behavior, AB test performance, revenue drivers, etc.
- Your success is measured by the success of key metrics within the product
Your Profile & Experience
- You have a deep understanding of our user base, members of the LGBTQ+ community from every corner of the world, you understand the unique problems they face, how we will solve them, and the value we bring to them
- You bring 3-5 years of experience in designing consumer mobile experiences
- You are proficient in Sketch, Figma, Principle for Mac, Zeplin, Abstract, InVision, and Adobe Suite
- You have experience in designing within brand guidelines, as well as collaborating with the design team to evolve those guidelines
- You can demonstrate strong UX and visual skills in digital products
- You have a strong interest and capability in designing highly innovative and engaging user experiences with an eye for functional design and a strong visual aesthetic
- You possess technical skills to synthesize high-level concepts and ideas into concrete high-fidelity designs
- You iterate and develop multiple solutions at a fast pace while keeping a high standard of visual aesthetic
- You are creative, enthusiastic, and passionate about design and continual experimentation, iteration, and optimization
- You show a strong ability to fluidly adapt to new UX design patterns and solve problems in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- You have a strong sense of ownership
- You are excellent in communicating and presenting and have sufficient English skills
- You think at a high level about product strategy
- You always put the user first along with our company vision
- You feel comfortable working in a remote team
- You will be part of our mission to provide a safe space for the LGBTQ+ community
- We offer a flexible work environment where you can work fully remote
- We have central hubs in Los Angeles and Cape Town if you like to head to the office
- We have quarterly product/engineering meetups in person
- All Team Hornet gets together once a year in attractive locations to meet up with remote colleagues
Do you want to become a part of Hornet? To apply, please submit your resume and a link to your portfolio. Bonus points for candidates who can articulate their passion for our mission in a concise cover letter.
We are looking forward to hearing from you! Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds will lead to a better environment for our team members and a better product for our users and community.