Root is a fast-growing tech startup and we’re on a mission to build the future of insurance. We are looking for a skilled, creative individual to help us develop and maintain a world-class digital product. You'll be responsible for designing new and existing Root features and iterating on them to ensure that the product is optimised for enhanced usability, usefulness, and visual design. Engaging with users and clients directly is a key part of this role to be able to observe how they use the product and see how we can improve it, you'll develop prototypes and ship new features and enhancements. You’ll be using sleek tools such as Figma and working with comprehensive component and design libraries to design solutions for our modern, multi-user frontend system built on TypeScript. A portfolio of professional UI/UX design work for web platforms is required when applying for this role. A portfolio of professional UI/UX design work for web platforms is required when applying for this role. This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town, but is remote friendly.
What you'll do:
You'll work closely with the product management and engineering teams to be able to:
- Rapidly prototype, test and implement new feature ideas.
- Optimise UX/UI designs for usability, user experience, as well as for consistency and effectiveness across the product.
- Focus on user-centricity and data-driven problem solving.
- Engage the broader product team, internal and external users, clients, and other stakeholders in the solutioning and design process.
- Apply research insights to your design, iterate on our solutions and close the feedback loop on UI/UI design deliverables.
- Effectively onboard and guide the Engineering team through the implementation of new designs.
We are looking for someone with:
Core requirements to perform responsibilities:
- A Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2 years’ UI/UX design experience for digital products or services
- A strong experience in lean UX methodologies, user-centered design principles and in advocating the user-centric approach into the product development process.
- An ability to use wireframing, prototyping and user testing to compare and contrast multiple solutions in a continuous cadence.
- Strong focus on ensuring a high-quality design solution by continuously giving and soliciting feedback from a technical and non-technical audience.
- Strong knowledge of the industry and market trends.
- High attention to detail and a good eye for design.
- High empathy for users.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A passion for high-quality products.
- A strong ‘let’s get things done’ attitude with a drive to succeed.
- An organised and analytical mindset.
- Comfortable working under pressure.
- Able to support your own opinion with data. Bonus points/nice to have:
- An understanding of how code translates in design
The Root Team and how we enable success:
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit). We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation, and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward. We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of your work and getting quick feedback. You can read more about Root here, and our culture here.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we’re well on our way there. You’ll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root’s global success. Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you. **Please note…* *Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.