UX/UI Product Designer
What You'll Do
- First Week: You will learn about Column's mission and vision, seek to understand our product, design, and engineering processes, and begin meeting other folks on the team. We're a small company that's growing quickly, so interpersonal rapport is essential.
- First Month: You will build out the initial structures of a design system. You will transform a product requirement document into a finalized design spec and collaborate with engineers to ship the final designs.
- First Six Months: You will ship production-ready designs across all areas of our core product. You will own the entire design process from low-fidelity to high-fidelity design, ideating based on initial feature requirements, prototyping and interaction, and designing engineer-ready design specs. You will build structure, processes, and best practices from scratch.
- First Year: You will build out a Column design system and design library that is scaleable as our company and design team grows. You will be an impactful founding member of a design team at a rapidly growing tech start-up that believes we have the potential to be a once in a generation company.
Our Ideal Candidate
- You're looking for a remote-first role working with wildly talented people who care about their impact on local communities
- You have experience with all stages of the design process — from ideation and user research to low- to high-fidelity mock-ups and delivering designs — and enjoy working with product managers and engineers on designs
- You're excited to have exceptional ownership over the future of interface design at Column and embrace the fact that being the first designer on means that you will have little day-to-day guidance, support, or feedback from other designers
- You're comfortable working on a team and in an environment that moves quickly while maintaining pixel-perfect design standards
- You're familiar with web-first design practices, care about designing for accessibility, and have created and/or owned a design library
- You have a strong desire to exemplify our operating principles — be worthy of trust, do the hard work, never stop learning, intentionally build community, and tell a better story
- You have grit and really want to work with us — if you do not resemble our ideal candidate, tell us why you'd still be a great fit for this role in an optional cover letter
Compensation and Benefits
Column is built on the belief that important information should be accessible to the public. As such, we work hard to model this behavior for potential Columnists by including our base compensation in all job descriptions and making our full benefits accessible online.
- Base compensation of $102,000 - $120,000 commensurate with experience and level, plus stock options and 401k plan with 5% match
- Healthcare, vision, & dental coverage for you and your dependents
- Unlimited (and encouraged) paid time off and 16-weeks paid parental leave
- Multiple stipends for you to invest in a home office setup and pursue wellness activities that make you feel healthy and whole
Column is the first collaborative public notice platform helping publishers, governments and legal services work together to inform their communities. We are a remote-first public benefit corporation with an in-person headquarters in Miami, FL.
To us, people are everything. Our current Columnists are wildly talented people from around the globe. We support and challenge each other. We address real problems that people face in their communities. We believe that we have the potential to be a generational company that will change the world as we know it. Will you join us?