We're Tovala, a food-tech company completely reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and food, we give our customers a way to enjoy really good, good-for-you meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. We've amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following in just a few years, radically changing the day-to-day lives of people across the country and successfully creating a new model for the food industry. We're looking for great people to join our team of hard-working, food-loving nerds.
About the job.
We’re looking for a UI/UX Designer to join our Digital Product Team on a full-time basis. In this role, you’ll research, design, prototype, test, and develop new products and features for all of our digital platforms. You will report to our UX Design Lead.
What does it mean to be a UI/UX designer at Tovala?
You’re in good creative company. Our team is small, so your contributions are big. In other words, you’d create usable, enjoyable, and aesthetically pleasing digital user interfaces. Your strong foundation of design principles, such as typography, imagery, content, and composition would ground your decision making. Your work would also serve to elevate and align with our brand vision, aesthetic style, and defined design principles. You understand the bottom line—you don’t just make stuff that ‘looks good’, you’ll figure out how to make solutions that solve customer and business problems.
How you’ll spend your time at Tovala
- Obsessing over customer problems: testing prototypes to validate our hypotheses
- Working in an agile environment, amongst ux focused front and back end developers.
- Designing user-centric, simple, and engaging interfaces with the latest UX and UI design practices for Android, iOS and mobile.
- Managing customer and internal feedback, understanding your impact on solving customer problems.
- Collaborating with other designers to develop and improve our Design System
- Building a working knowledge of capabilities and limitations of front-end technologies that will help you create better user experiences.
- Own the details that make the entire digital product experience feel polished: including interactions, gestures, animation, and visuals that go beyond the min.
- Contribute to product requirements by researching competitors, looking at existing internal data, and information as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Digital Design, Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) or related fields.
- 3+ years of experience as a user interface designer, or similar roles.
- Experience with designing user-centric, simple, and engaging interfaces with the latest UX and UI design practices.
- Proficiency with ux/ui related software and tools like Figma
- Possessing visual design expertise: Strong understanding of typography, color and layout principles
- Ability to understand your impact on solving customer problems and product’s needs.
- Ability to extract complex concepts and quickly turn around rigorous flows, mockups and interactive prototypes reflecting a range of options
- Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task in an agile environment
- You love food, whether that means cooking it, eating it, frequently pressing your nose against deli windows, or lusting after soft-serve on Instagram. All fair game.
Perks of being a Tovala employee
A fully stocked kitchen with free breakfast, lunch, and snacks daily when in the office
A free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala Meals
Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
Paid maternity/paternity/family leave
Transportation/health savings accounts
401k plan with company match