SkySpecs is simplifying renewable energy asset management by offering purpose-built technologies and services that help our customers deliver industry-leading productivity, efficiency, and returns. Every day we help our customers unlock the power of their data so they can make confident, informed decisions. Our team brings deep industry experience and a willingness to get our hands dirty to first understand and then solve customer problems on the ground. SkySpecs launched the world’s first completely autonomous blade inspection product in 2016 with a custom-designed drone system. Since then, SkySpecs has inspected over 95,000 wind turbines in over 27 countries, becoming the world leader in understanding the health of turbine blades. Identifying issues with turbine blades is only the first step. In 2019, SkySpecs launched Horizon to be a platform for SkySpecs to offer a multi-layered solution for customers that includes: data collection, wind turbine blade engineering expertise, and a place for all stakeholders to collaborate to manage and analyze massive amounts of data, spot trends, and create plans for high-cost repair campaigns. In 2021, SkySpecs acquired two companies specializing in wind turbine drivetrain monitoring and financial management, further expanding our asset management portfolio. Ultimately, this will help reduce the industry’s cost and risk of operations.
What will I be getting myself into?
As a UX Designer, you will create interfaces, workflows, and experiences for enterprise users in the renewable energy industry. Your work will primarily be centered on Horizon, a web application that wind energy owners can use to collaborate on, analyze, and act on operations and maintenance decisions. The UX designer role is a high-visibility role within the organization, and you will have the opportunity to understand customer needs, work with the product leadership team on product strategy, and to work with the technology teams to develop amazing software.
The ideal candidate is not only exceptional at their craft but is also a strong communicator and design evangelist within the SkySpecs engineering and product teams. We expect that you will work to tightly weave experience design into every facet of the product development process.
Some highlights for your coming year could include:
- Designing new workflows that let users coordinate their annual maintenance campaigns which include scheduling tens-of-thousands of tasks to gather terabytes of data on thousands of assets.
- Evolving our application to support a significant increase in the number of distinct user personas and the subtle, unique experiences they require.
Untangling various individual products to merge their data together into an integrated, navigable analysis platform.
IN A GIVEN WEEK, YOU WILL:
- [40%] Design workflows, wireframes, prototypes, or interfaces to deliver on our product goals and needs.
- [20%] Conduct interviews, observe product usage, get product feedback, or present wireframes.
- [40%] Engage with Product Management and the Engineering team throughout the entire development process from feature definition to execution to deliver amazing features.
- Professional experience in a user interface or user experience design role working on web-based applications.
- Experience working in an agile software development environment, iteratively delivering towards larger goals.
- Able to take a concept from rough sketch to wireframe to a developer-ready design using industry-standard software.
- Love for untangling spaghetti. SkySpecs’ enterprise users have complex data and correspondingly complex workflow needs. The UX Designer will aim to satisfy those needs while keeping the design simple and usable.
- Comfort in influencing digital design philosophy and being influenced by others in return.
- Is a self-starter, and is comfortable creating processes and procedures where none may yet exist.
- Has boundless curiosity to learn new material and domains and an innate drive to figure out how disparate pieces fit together.
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Experience with our UX design tools: Sketch, Axure, Zeplin, Figma.
- Enterprise software experience.
- Mobile application experience.
- Data visualization experience.
OUR ENGINEERING TEAM VALUES PEOPLE WHO:
- Have strong opinions that are loosely held
- Are self-accountable
- Plan and communicate collaboratively
- Ask forgiveness, not permission
- Are humble
- Operate autonomously
- Under promise and over-deliver
- Pursue passions
- Listen well