Director of UX Research
Job Title: Director of UX Research
Bombas is a comfort focused apparel brand with a mission to help those in need. The company launched in 2013, after the founders learned that socks are the #1 most requested clothing item at homeless shelters. From there, they set out to solve that problem, donating a pair of socks for every pair they sell. How do you donate a lot of socks? You sell a lot. And how do you sell a lot? You make the most comfortable socks in the history of feet. Millions of pairs sold and donated later, Bombas is continuing to innovate with new socks and apparel while creating a positive impact on the community where we all work and live.
At Bombas, comfort is heavily rooted in our DNA. While striving to provide comfort for all, we welcome and celebrate minds from all backgrounds regardless of age, color, ethnicity, gender or gender identity, genetics, physical or mental ability, protected veteran status, race, religion and sexual orientation. We highly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Come as you are and we’ll welcome you to the Hive.
Click here to see what it's like to work inside the Bombas Hive!
About the Job:
We are looking for a seasoned UX research team lead who is passionate about understanding user behaviors, needs, and motivations by applying mixed method research techniques to help drive business performance and growth. You are a motivating and empathetic leader who can both develop a strategic team roadmap and execute research yourself end-to-end. You will build the Bombas UX research practice from the ground up, reporting directly to our Senior Director of Consumer Insights. This role will work directly with UX designers, product managers and engineers through all stages of site experience development as a key advocate for the consumer, their desires and needs.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Establishing the Bombas UX research function by identifying and exploring opportunities to help build a best-in-class eComm experience, always keeping our customers (new and repeat) at the center
- Establish the UX research vision, partnering with PMs, UX, Creative and Engineering department leads to ensure alignment and feasibility
- Share compelling, tangible findings and prioritized recommendations regularly, ensuring that outcomes align to business goals
- Build out the company’s research toolkit including interviews, surveys, concept studies, usability testing, ethnographic observations, card sorting, participatory design, etc.
- Build, grow, and nurture partnerships with product managers, designers, data scientists, customer operations, and engineers - including documenting and educating relevant stakeholders on UXR best practices
- Thought leadership in how Bombas should holistically consider evolving our eComm experience
- Identify UX opportunities and marshall action against them through compelling user research and strong cross-functional relationships to drive conversion/business performance while staying true to the Bombas brand positioning and mission
- Get your hands dirty by conducting and creating impact from your hands-on research
- Mentor colleagues across the company in conducting effective customer research, from guerrilla to formalized
What we’ll love about you:
- Broad and deep understanding of qualitative and quantitative UX research methods, and experience with when and how to apply different methods
- Comfort presenting to groups, creating compelling stories from data, and building relationships across interdisciplinary partners
- A genuine passion for finely-crafted user experiences that are both beautiful and usable
- Experience establishing and evangelizing research best practices and processes across the discipline
- A team player who is willing and happy to help
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Belief in our mission and understand the importance of giving-back
- Inquisitive, love to learn, embrace failure, and never give up
- Comfortable working in an open office while staying focused
What you’ll love about us:
- We are a team of smart, interesting, diverse, funny, and loving people.
- We offer competitive compensation, employer paid health, medical and dental benefits, 401k with match, paid parental leave, snacks, socks and a fun, relaxed office environment.
- We take the responsibility to make sure you are excited, happy, and find fulfillment in your work very seriously.
- We value fun. This is why we host office lunches, offsite team outings, and two annual company retreats.
- We believe in giving back to the community and helping those in need, which is why we volunteer as a team regularly.
- We believe success comes from the collective effort of all, which is why all full-time employees receive equity in the business.
- We offer flexible paid time off for all full-time employees. This includes unlimited vacation, sick days, and wellness days because we understand the value of health, relaxation, spending time with friends and family, and traveling the world.
- We believe a healthy body equals a healthy mind, so we offer a $100 monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
What you’ll bring:
- 8+ years experience in user research working across multiple product lines
- 4+ years experience leading research teams
- Knowledge of eCommerce best practices and standards
- Experience working in Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD or equivalent
- Experience hiring and developing effective UX research teams
- BA/BS in HCI, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, or other related field preferred
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any employment testing, or otherwise participating in this hiring process, please direct your inquiries to our Director of Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only requests related to accommodations will be responded to.