HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google . We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a multitalented, out of the box creative thinker that isn’t afraid to take on new challenges. You will be designing a wide variety of materials across our website, partner sites, our social channels and in our advertising. To be successful in this position, you’ll be a self-starter, capable of delivering brilliant creative concepts and mock-ups and show great attention to detail. As you take responsibility for the brand’s visual identity, you will be directly responsible for the look and feel of all creative work and for the continuous evolution of the brand.
You’ll be a core member of the Marketing team but you'll also be working on creative work for the Education department (LMS / UI / Dashboards) as well the Careers department.
- Execute brand CI and design language across websites, landing pages & direct marketing / communication platforms
- Design for digital-first experiences that are simple, intuitive, and effective
- Take the lead and act proactively to develop design-led communication
- Have a mobile-first attitude when designing for our website and other channels
- Keep up to date with trending topics and apply creative thought into our advertising.
- Design and create conceptualised mailers for campaigns.
- Take ownership of the UX and apply customer-centric techniques to optimise the way our users engage with our products (courses)
- Participate in regular product reviews and feedback sessions
- Collaborate with your colleagues in Marketing, Education, and Product.
- Collaborate with the development team and external suppliers to make sure every touchpoint is on-brand.
- Min. 3-4 years of digital & UX design experience with a high-calibre portfolio to show for it.
- Solid love and understanding of UX design
- Must have strong experience working in Figma
- Experience creating landing pages in CMS
- An ability to think analytically with a strong appreciation for the role of data to inform communications and design thinking.
- Illustration and motion graphics skills
- Proficient understanding of the Adobe Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, InDesign, Premiere Pro, After Effects and XD
- Be able to create animated explainer videos on products for Marketing
- Positive and empathetic attitude with a proven ability to work well with people in different department teams and levels
- A strong understanding of societal and cultural diversity, with an ability to translate that understanding into designs that resonate a diverse audience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 5+ years experience in leading the design for a brand
- Experience working in EdTech / Education
- Working experience with Producing, shooting and / or editing Videos
- Experience with creating animations
- Detailed understanding of Google Analytics (conversions, goals, events)
- Experience with Advertising for video channels / YouTube & TikTok
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Learn new tech skills: You can do 1 free bootcamp per employee per year with a 50% family discount.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.