Senior Product Designer
Posted 10 months ago
Apply for this job
We make Octopus Deploy.
We simplify complex software deployments so our customers can focus on what they do best and ship software on time without unwanted disruptions or surprises.
?350,000+ people use Octopus Deploy.
?600,000+ virtual machines run our Tentacle agent.
?150,000,000+ deployments to date.
?90% support emails answered in two hours or less.
?Over 25,000 companies use Octopus Deploy, including (curious? check this out)
Octopus Deploy is one of Australia’s fastest-growing software companies (and we’re taking on the world). After bootstrapping for a decade, in 2021, we quietly raised Australia's second-largest ever venture capital raise, accepting a USD 172M minority investment from Insight Partners.
Our Product Designers form part of the design team which is distributed across the company into cross-functional teams in R&D. Designers across the company stay connected and supported through design team rituals like school of design, mentoring, team kickoffs, team round tables and design week.
This Senior Product Designer (Interaction/UI) will be embedded in the Front End Platform team alongside other designers and engineers to help deliver on the goals of this team and UX strategy. You will report to the Product Design Manager within the Front End Platform team and contribute to a wider design discipline. You will help shape and guide our design system in collaboration with the Front End Platform team.
This is a remote-first role based in Australia or New Zealand.
Salary range: $120,000-$140,000 plus stock options
You will be a great fit for this role if you have ...
- Working experience in visual and interaction design.
- Live and breathe design systems with enough understanding of technical capabilities to bring it to life.
- Previous experience working with engineers and are highly comfortable engaging in conversations of a technical nature and collaborating on solutions in a cross functional environment.
- A strong folio of design work that showcases an understanding of UX principles, typographical nous, an effective use of grid systems and strong visual design skills.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current digital and interaction design principles and trends.
- Proficiency with industry design tools such as Figma and Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present concepts and solutions supported by expertly thought out design rationale. Working towards becoming a mentor to other less experienced designers.
- The ability to plan out work and break down tasks.
- A knack for articulating design in a concise written form. Maybe even dable in copywriting.
You will enjoy this role if...
- You are able to identify the need to work independently vs collaboratively, motivating yourself and your team to do high-quality work on time.
- You have a passion for user-centered design and creating great product experiences.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
A typical day might include...
- Working with your Product Design Manager to plan out upcoming work.
- Creating & modifying components in figma and carrying this through to updating design system documentation follow up by clear communication.
- Facilitating a discussion with other designers and/or engineers to collaborate on ways to solve a design problem.
- Pairing with an Engineer, Product Design Manager, or another designer to solve a UX, usability, or UI problem.
- Giving considered feedback to other designers to help guide them to succeed.
- Utilizing customer feedback through existing sources to help identify usability issues and design opportunities.
- Participating or running design research activities with customers
Why Is This A Great Opportunity?
- We offer great benefits, including generous laptop and home office allowances, plus stock options!
- We value transparency and fairness in every aspect of our business. For example, Paul (our CEO) shares monthly updates on company performance, and our pay structures are designed to pass the ‘printer test’.
- Trust and autonomy. Octonauts are treated like adults, and are trusted to find the best way of working for the task at hand, without managers looking over their shoulder.
- You’ll be joining a high-growth company with numerous opportunities to learn and advance your career.
- Remote first: work from wherever you feel most productive.
- We are a supportive company where everyone’s contribution is valued.
- We respect and encourage work/life balance.
- We’ve built an inclusive workplace culture and understand the true importance of culture-add, versus culture-fit.
- From day 1, you'll have a buddy helping you get your bearings. You can book in coffee chats with anyone in the company. We encourage everyone to have a voice in all aspects of the product and the business. So much so that we have an open chat policy (all channels are public by default) and everyone is welcome!
- Also when it comes to inclusivity, we mean it, check out our handbook!
- If you’d like to work at Octopus, reach out and say hello!
How To Apply:
- You must have ongoing unrestricted work rights in the relevant job ad location (Australia, New Zealand) to apply for this opportunity.
- Submit a CV - your LinkedIn profile is also acceptable as long as it contains enough information for us to assess your fit for the role.
- We welcome any other relevant documents or portfolios necessary to showcase your skillset and why you think you’d be a great fit here at Octopus.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we have helped 25,000 companies to automate complex deployments, and we employ 200+ wonderful people.
We're a growing, profitable business. Our goal is to build a company that will last forever while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use. After bootstrapping for a decade, we quietly raised Australia's second-largest ever venture capital raise, accepting a USD $172M minority investment from Insight Partners.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, NZ and the UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.