Who Gives A Crap
Not all heroes wear capes — but plenty of them use toilet paper
Want to challenge yourself at a high-growth startup AND make a difference in the world? Come join the revolootion!
Funny name, serious business
We make eco-friendly products and donate 50% of our profits to help build toilets for the billions of people who lack proper access. So far, we’ve contributed over $10 million AUD (roughly $7.4 million USD) to fund sanitation projects around the globe. Basically, we’re really good at doing good.
With hubs in Australia, the Philippines, China, the US, UK, and Europe, our ambitious team of 200+ work together to make the biggest possible impact for people and the planet. Over the next couple of years, we’re working to increase our annual donation tenfold and we won’t rest until everyone in the world has access to clean water and sanitation services.
A bit about the role
We’re rapidly growing our Digital Product in-house team and on the hunt for another Digital Product Designer to join our merry band! As the newest member of our Product Design team, you’ll ensure we deliver a seamless and best-in-class digital experience that works beautifully for our customers and our business.
Reporting to our Product Design Director this role will be supporting our product roadmap from ideation to deployment. You’ll have the opportunity to contribute to and even develop ownership across many facets of our online customer experience - from existing subscribers to browsing consumers - all the while elevating our onsite experience and keeping our unique playfulness without ever feeling derivative.
We’re looking for someone with equal parts creative design and data geek who always puts the user experience first, and is always able to find that sweet spot of substance x style. You’ll help contribute towards a design system alongside our in-house Product Design and Creative, and Engineering teams that supports collaboration and inclusivity. You'll also spend a lot of time digging into insights to uncover new opportunities we didn’t see before, and turning those opportunities into delightful design solutions.
While we’re hiring this role for our Melbourne and Los Angeles hubs, we still want to hear from you if you’re located in Australia, US, UK, China, Hong Kong, or the Philippines and up for dedicating yourself to PST and AEST timezones from afar. Our Digital Product team spans across the US and Australia and works mostly remotely (we have global co-working spaces in LA, NY, Melbourne, Sydney, and London that you are welcome to use, and also offer extend a stipend for hot desks and a slick WFH setup). And while we’re not totally immune to the effects of time zones challenging how we come together, we’ve done plenty of testing on our ways of working and currently have our Digital Product team committing up to 4 hours per day of collaboration time which sees our US team aligning to PST afternoons and our Australian team diving into earlier mornings. We also believe in Slow (no-meetings) Mondays for our Australian team, which our US team enthusiastically celebrates on their respective Fridays.
If you worked here this past month here are some things you might have been involved in:
- Helped us redesign our subscriber dashboard by working with PM and Engineering counterparts, the Marketing team, and our broader customer experience team to roll it out
- Collaborated with a small cross-functional squad to rethink our Referral program, got your hands dirty and experimented with Shopify and Google Optimize, and presented informed recommendations on how to best move forward
- Worked with one of our design researchers to prototype a few different messaging concepts to test out with humans in a qualitative study
- Prepared a presentation for the product team on a topic you’re passionate about, and taught us all something new
- Were a key player in our virtual sprints, standups, retrospectives, and other ceremonies to keep the team aligned and focused
- Joined our DE&I committee and championed inclusive initiatives to bake into what we’re doing at all levels for culture, talent, and growth
- Wireframed, prototyped, and shipped a portfolio of products and features elbow-to-elbow with your Design, Product, and Engineering counterparts, that all laddered up to a company OKR; and shared back learnings both within Product and to stakeholders outside of Product.
- Put your slideshow and presentation chops to good use by helping our Head of Product design and co-host a new and improved Digital Product 101 session for new hires
Who you are
? You <3 user experience and HCD
You’ve got a sixth sense when it comes to design, and what sets you apart is your ability to naturally apply this to the practice of understanding and solving user problems. You’re easily able to walk in a users’ shoes to identify issues and your toolkit is full of methodologies and approaches to thoughtful and considered research to provide you more insights. In fact, you’re so gosh darn good at this you’re always finding yourself rolled into helping other departments solve their problems (and also, you secretly love it).
?? You design the crap out of pixels
And you have the digital portfolio to prove it. Sounds obvious, right? It’s super important that you’re experienced in designing for web or native apps, and have the ability to think empathetically and objectively about user experience. You’re comfortable with industry design and agile practices, you’re able to navigate your way around the usual tools (you dream in Figma) and you still love to map out a solution using good old conversation and pencil and paper. You’ve got experience creating interfaces, large-scale digital experience or maybe even applications and you can take them from planning to prototyping right through to implementation.
? You are an expert collaborator
Your work touches every part of the business - both within and beyond! - and you are highly collaborative across all teams, hubs, and levels of Who Gives A Crap. You encourage open communication and advocate for shared positive outcomes. People trust you and you’re able to build a reputation as an expert as well as a teammate. You’re able to clearly define a value proposition and seamlessly articulate it, generating support and buy-in from both key stakeholders and team members.
? You give a crap
Yep. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Our interview process takes roughly 3-4 weeks and is entirely virtual, with an estimated 6 hours of your time interviewing and 8 hours of paid project work.
- Application (allow for 1-2 weeks response time)
- Phone or Zoom Interview w/ a member of our Talent team (30 mins)
- Zoom Hiring Manager Interview w/ our Product Design Director (1 hour)
- Zoom Peer Interview w/ two members of our Digital Product and Insights teams (1 hour)
- Zoom Homework Collaboration & Presentation w/ our Digital Product, Insights, and Creative teams (2 hours collaborating, 1 hour presenting, plus 8 hours of paid project time over 2 weeks)
- Zoom Executive Meeting w/ our Senior Leadership (30 mins)
Why should you work with us?
First off, there’s the feel good stuff. As a certified B Corp™, we work to make a difference every day while maintaining the highest standards of social and environmental impact. We also believe that helping to make the world a better place shouldn’t have to mean getting paid peanuts — it’s why we offer super competitive salaries, benefits like tailored learning and development opportunities, generous paid parental leave and free toilet paper (yes, you read that right).
But you don’t have to take our word for it — our employees recently gave us our sixth consecutive Culture Amp engagement score of 90+ and we’ve been named one of BuiltInLA’s “100 Best Places to Work” two years in a row.
Have you made it this far?
If you’re still reading, we think there’s a strong chance you might be our kind of person.
Here’s the thing, though — research suggests that 60% of women and underrepresented folks might have already talked themselves out of applying. Even if you don’t check every box above, we want to encourage you to introduce yourself. We believe a diversity of perspectives and experiences makes a team stronger — and the stronger our team, the closer we are to delivering toilets and clean water for all.