Apply for this job
Who We Are
Rill makes it easy to create and consume metrics by combining a SQL-based data modeler, real-time database, and metrics dashboard into a single product—a simple alternative to complex BI stacks. The open-source technologies at our core (duckDB, Apache Druid) have been adopted by 100s of companies -- including Alibaba, Lyft, and Snap -- to power mission-critical tools for user analytics, application performance monitoring, and digital marketing. Our mission is to build a company, community, & product to radically simplify how people transform, explore, and share data – at any scale.
Where You Fit In
As our first product designer, you will have the opportunity to radically shape how the product works, from design system to branding to interactions to the felt experience of using Rill; the details and the gestalt.
What You Will Do
- Define the foundations of Rill’s UX, from our desktop app to our cloud interface.
- Develop & systematize Rill’s design paradigms.
- Help us develop Rill’s branding and connect it to the product experience.
- Collaborate with product and engineering to nail the user journey.
- Prototype new concept explorations with product and engineering.
- Radical ownership over Rill’s design culture & philosophy with a bias toward driving projects from concept to release. We’re looking for someone who can roll their sleeves up and get stuff done, from producing rough mockups to creating code prototypes to ensuring each release is high-quality and detail-driven.
- High technical acumen & a desire to reduce cognitive load for our users*. Most technical tools are poorly designed, needlessly complex, slow, and ultimately painful to use.
- Collaborative building. Product development is a team sport; you’ll be working with people with deep expertise in all areas of data work, from databases to statistics to data visualization.
- Familiarity with user research methodology. We believe we’re breaking new product ground; talking to community members and customers is our way to make sure we’re on the right track. You’ll be leading the efforts around talking to people about their needs.
- An iterative attitude. No design is perfect. You understand that we’ll be refining the user experience with every release.
- Mastery over Figma.
- An understanding of frontend technologies. You don’t need to be an expert, just enough experience with browser technologies and web frameworks to know how to communicate the goal of a design and the experience you’d like to see implemented.
- Experience with data visualization
- SaaS design experience
- Experience building analytics tools
If you’re interested in this role, please send us a note at email@example.com.
We believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to create innovative products that improve the way people live and communicate. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.